When to paint the pipe?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

emt1581

Minister of Fire
Jul 6, 2010
PA
We are going to be painting our stove pipe so that it blends in best as possible. Not sure if we're going to use grill paint or stove pipe paint.

But when is the best time to paint it? Can it be done once it's installed? Can it be done the day it's installed? Or does this stuff take a day or two to dry?

Thanks!

-Emt1581

best time to paint it would be when it is not in use. Stove bright makes good products for that application. It dries quickly. but you would probibly want to hang the sections of pipe to spray them. Use common sence and spray it outside on a warm day using some type of mask..

This summer - after it is installed, it will get scratched and nicked during the install. Our painter used brush on bar-b-q paint and it has held up well on the class a pipe. i no comment on it use on dbl or single wall pipe, but i would be a leary of painting the single wall pipe with any type of paint.

madison said:
This summer - after it is installed, it will get scratched and nicked during the install. Our painter used brush on bar-b-q paint and it has held up well on the class a pipe. i no comment on it use on dbl or single wall pipe, but i would be a leary of painting the single wall pipe with any type of paint.

Our interious stove pipe will be double walled IIRC.

Brush on would be a lot easier for us.

Thanks!

-Emt1581

just looked at the can, the paint he used was rustoleum high heat bar-b-que black, which matched the dbl wall pipe and connectors off the stove.

!!! Note that on the can it says it is safe to 1000 degrees F !!! So single wall pipe would be pressing your luck, dbl wall it will no doubt stink up the place now and then, on the class a inside our home, i rarely think i smell it.

Status
Not open for further replies.