Where Are All Of The Gas Stove Folks

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

BrotherBart

Modesterator
Staff member
Woodburners dominate the conversation here in the hearth room and that got me to wondering. Where are the gas stove people? Why don't they drop in here? At least up until this last season gas hearth appliances were seventy percent of the sales. Lotta gas stoves out there somewhere.

I bet Craig burns one.

BrotherBart said:
Woodburners dominate the conversation here in the hearth room and that got me to wondering. Where are the gas stove people? Why don't they drop in here? At least up until this last season gas hearth appliances were seventy percent of the sales. Lotta gas stoves out there somewhere.

I bet Craig burns one.

Yes, it is common knowledge that my new house has a Lennox double sided gas fireplace.

I suppose gas burners are sitting in front of their fireplaces, since that is usually all they have to do! Flip the switch and sit down with the paper. My general advice to most multiple stove owners - get one wood and the other gas! Feeding two woodstoves can be so much work that you don't get to enjoy them!

Double sided fireplaces are nice. No matter what is burning in them.

I think most gas burners hang out at gardenweb. We need to convert them over here. The gardenweb site is boring and slow.

I love it when customers put a double side between the bedroom and bathroom. Nothing like watching your spouse pee through the flames.

MountainStoveGuy said:
I think most gas burners hang out at gardenweb. We need to convert them over here. The gardenweb site is boring and slow.

I love it when customers put a double side between the bedroom and bathroom. Nothing like watching your spouse pee through the flames.

A job just opened up for you in the PR office at Homeland Security.

That clean face VC one is really neat. I was kicking around an idea to replace some windows with one in the showroom. It would look pretty cool. FPX came out withone too. Theirs will be convertible to a penninsula as well. I like the big flames in the clean face fireplaces out there. I was looking at a Town and Country at the show too that was certainly impressive.

BrotherBart said:
MountainStoveGuy said:

A job just opened up for you in the PR office at Homeland Security.

Ah, the difference is "willing adult" - notice he mentioned spouse......

Now, the homeland security people - they use camera hidden in the airport bathrooms instead of double sided fp.

BrotherBart said:
Where are the gas stove people? Why don't they drop in here?
Gas burners are not true "burners," and thus do not qualify for exclusive membership in the Hearthnet club. They are mere appliance users who are worried more about the battery life in the remote controls for their gas "burning" appliance than more worldly concerns such as stack temperature, creosote formation, ash disposal, and what the hell that pig head is doing on Mo's wall. :p

-- Mike

Hmmm. I've been contemplating moving to gas. It's just as cost effective as pellets are now. Guess I won't be coming here anymore if I do that :) You're right though it is really hands off.

I have a Heat-n-Glo in my living room (it was there when I moved in last year). Its only real use it to hit the switch when the doorbell rings so people can see that you have a fireplace. My furnace is much more efficient. My gas bill runs around $100 a month through the winter (subtracting ~$25 for hot water).

Mike Wilson said:
BrotherBart said:
Where are the gas stove people? Why don't they drop in here?
Gas burners are not true "burners," and thus do not qualify for exclusive membership in the Hearthnet club. They are mere appliance users who are worried more about the battery life in the remote controls for their gas "burning" appliance than more worldly concerns such as stack temperature, creosote formation, ash disposal, and what the hell that pig head is doing on Mo's wall. :p

-- Mike

I have an electric stove that we cook on. We could talk about the carbon build up of burned green beans if anyone wants.

I think it's an Amana...It has ceramic glass... just like my wood stove. It gets hot...Just like my wood stove. Well, that was fun.

Great fun but what I was talking about is the fact that the use of free standing gas stoves and inserts have a lot of the same issues to be resolved in safe and efficient installations and operation as wood stoves. Brands, type, what type of venting, best placement for efficiency, not blowing the house up and in the case of propane fuel availablity and price. Sounds a bunch like the pellet stove discussions.

Oh well, I was just curious. Never mind.

Sorry Bart...just being a sarcastic Ash)le. I understood. Actually, installs of gas appliance would seem like a good topic. I know some folks who would like a discussion. I know my parents have been kicking around a gas burner in their masonry fireplace for years. They just don't know where to start. It might be more appliance like, but it sure would be nice to see a fire in that fireplace again. (health concerns have caused them to quit burning wood in it.)

Gas fired stoves can be very econimical to heat with. THere as efficient if not more then wood stoves, and they can realy crank the heat, and heat a large area just like your wood stove. They can work on a wall thermostat just like a furnace, and always keep the living space at a comfortable temp without overheating. Basements are perfect candidates for gas stoves as well as places that are hard to run chimney. The direct vent chimney pipe is relativly inexpensive to class a, you would proabably save in the neighborhood of 600-1000 bucks just on chimney components. That goes a log way to paying that gas bill if the stove is your primary source of heat. Not to mention internal room atmosphere doenst mess with them at all, wich in turn will enable you to keep the house zip'ed up better. Every stove has a place in someones home. I personaly dont have one, but if i had natural gas i would consider it for shure. Liquid Propane is just to dang expensive here. Only the mountain areas in colorado are on LP. So there is a huge gas market in the front range. Historicly, its a 60/30/10 mix, gas, wood, pellet. Not last year of course, but things swing in this industry as bad as gas prices.
Ryan

Status
Not open for further replies.