Where are all those stove "deals" due to low oil prices?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Wilbur Feral

Minister of Fire
Aug 24, 2014
Eastern Pennsylvania
With oil prices at rock bottom, I think a lot of us planned on buying new-to-us replacement stoves this year. But I'm not seeing stove prices on Craig's List that are any lower than in the past, in our area (Southeast PA). I had hoped to put in a newer "auto start" insert into the basement office (a Quad or Harman), to replace my little Whitfield Quest (which would move to a new outbuilding where I plan to do some work on winter weekends). But I'm just not seeing good deals, and with winter coming on it's less likely. Anyone having better luck in their area?

Reactions: Jason845845
I am seeing fair amount of deals on both pellet and wood stoves and a few oil furnaces as they upgrade to better or propane. Not any real good stoves though. We had a mild winter last year and they are forecasting another mild winter and pellet prices are not that bad around my area.

Reactions: Peterfield
I assume you're looking at Craigslist ads. Try using SearchTempest or another Craigslist 3rd party app that allows one to search several city areas at one. Just was a small Harman for $1200 not too far from me but not in the market right now.

Pellet stove crisis! Maybe because many paid too much when they bought them just like the housing crisis and collapse. LOL! They can't afford to sell them cheap because they are in them upside down and making payments possibly. Just a sick thought.

Pellet stove crisis! Maybe because many paid too much when they bought them just like the housing crisis and collapse. LOL! They can't afford to sell them cheap because they are in them upside down and making payments possibly. Just a sick thought.

That is probably spot on for a lot of people. I got my baby Harman for a great price but they were desperate to sell as they were moving to FL and had no other offers and weren't taking the stove with them. Or maybe a lot of them are smarter than others give them credit for - people know that oil prices fluctuate so they are keeping with more than just one way to heat.

Reactions: CleanFire
That is probably spot on for a lot of people. I got my baby Harman for a great price but they were desperate to sell as they were moving to FL and had no other offers and weren't taking the stove with them. Or maybe a lot of them are smarter than others give them credit for - people know that oil prices fluctuate so they are keeping with more than just one way to heat.
I am more inclined to believe this one.

With oil prices at rock bottom, I think a lot of us planned on buying new-to-us replacement stoves this year. But I'm not seeing stove prices on Craig's List that are any lower than in the past, in our area (Southeast PA). I had hoped to put in a newer "auto start" insert into the basement office (a Quad or Harman), to replace my little Whitfield Quest (which would move to a new outbuilding where I plan to do some work on winter weekends). But I'm just not seeing good deals, and with winter coming on it's less likely. Anyone having better luck in their area?

Here they come:

http://newyork.craigslist.org/fct/for/5236170603.html

http://newyork.craigslist.org/fct/for/5235727332.html

http://newjersey.craigslist.org/app/5235526902.html

My thinking is Oil will be high again as sure as the sun shines, and they know it. They are playing the wait and see if the stock market and the Middle east will effect the price of oil. I Like the heat the Pellet stove gives off plus the fire is relaxing. Also pellets seem to be at an all time high and I don't think they are going to go any higher, but Oil is a gamble.JMO

Seen a little used Enviro and a like new Harman PC45 last weekend. Both were asking $500

My thinking is Oil will be high again as sure as the sun shines, and they know it. They are playing the wait and see if the stock market and the Middle east will effect the price of oil. I Like the heat the Pellet stove gives off plus the fire is relaxing. Also pellets seem to be at an all time high and I don't think they are going to go any higher, but Oil is a gamble.JMO

Not that it matters but oil is NOT a "gamble" this year. It's staying low for a variety of reasons, both domestic and foreign. It's not my opinion as much as some expert advice by someone in the family who is actually in the oil business and is in a position to know these things.

Reactions: Pete Zahria
I wouldn't really say deals but I'm seeing a lot more stoves listed lately on my local craigslist.

I wouldn't really say deals but I'm seeing a lot more stoves listed lately on my local craigslist.
seen any good deals on snowmobiles and skiis yet ?

seen any good deals on snowmobiles and skiis yet ?

Haven't looked never tried heating my house with a snowmobile or skis.sounds dangerous

Status
Not open for further replies.