Where did the cold weather go?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Badfish740

Minister of Fire
Oct 3, 2007
It's nearly 70 degrees and balmy out. Just last week I was firing the furnace at night and enjoying a cold Oktoberfest sitting in front of it. Someone call Fall and tell it to get its butt back here.

Badfish740 said:
It's nearly 70 degrees and balmy out. Just last week I was firing the furnace at night and enjoying a cold Oktoberfest sitting in front of it. Someone call Fall and tell it to get its butt back here.

Badfish740 it looks like it should be back in the east Wednesday or Thursday, this will give me time to push in more wood. I'm looking forward on cutting again starting on Saturday on either beech,sugar maple or some cherry that my neighbor wants me to buck up and take off his property.

zap

Balmy here too, cant say thats too bad tho as I've had to burn a decent amount of wood already (just seems too early for that!).

It is a rather warm day - low 70's predicted. I have to say though it is BEAUTIFUL to look out and see all the colors of the trees and then go out and enjoy such nice temperatures. I'm not upset to let the stove idle for a couple days really. I haven't gone 24/7 yet this year - still doing a cold start each time.

I missed my chance over the weekend as we went camping and left the house w/o heat Fri-Sun. It was cold there and we burned a lot of wood in the great outdoors. Got to love roasting marshmallows for breakfast dessert (after bacon, eggs, pancakes... heh why not?). I had taken some of my oddballs and "won't split" pieces to get rid of them in the fire. They were not as well seasoned as they should be so a lot of smoke.. I think I'll take better wood next time (cough cough). My 8yo said "I wish they made a cat you could put on top of the campfire to burn all that smoke" heh - maybe someday she will....

Got home Sunday afternoon to a 57* house though - wife was first inside and said "Light a fire!" - that was the most emphatic request I've ever heard from her on the subject. Had the house up to normal temps a few hours later though and by bedtime it was plenty cozy so didn't bother burning overnight.

Lovely here too. Drove through 8" of fresh snow, falling as I write. Could get as much as 22" at the upper elevations in the next 24hrs. ;-P

I'll take as much of this nice weather as mother nature is willing to give. 70's here yesterday. As long as I am not doing hard physical work outside , like firewood, this is great weather!

Hold onto your hats fellas. We too have been warm for 2 days but today it appears much cooler air will be blown in. And I do mean blow. We have some 35 mph wind now and they say it is just getting started. We may see wind over 60 mph before it is done. Naturally, that usually brings in some much colder air.

The wind will come your way very soon, so button up!

Headed your way. Temp here is 45 degrees. Steady winds of 30-40 mph with gusts to 60 mph. Sideways rain.
Lovely outside. Will be in the 20's for lows later in the week.

Cold front is passing through now. Highs in upper 50s/lower 60s on the back side. Lows near freezing. This has been a very unusual year for us. Almost too hot/mild.

Edit: wow, 82F in Knoxville, 57F in Nashville!

It's here today. 49 high, 24 low. By Thursday it will be back in the 60's / mid 30's.

Where are you beetle-kill? Here in Ft. Collins it's chilly (~30 tonight) but dry and still windy. I miss my mountain house.

Slow1, that is the kind of camping I hoped for with my son over the weekend. No real rain since August meant the trees were colorless and a complete burn ban. And I packed firewood and marshmallows! Kind of boring after dark.

Good rain yesterday though. Still not cool enough for a fire.

johnstra, I'm in Silverthorne, but live in Clear Creek so yup, gotta drive over the Divide everyday. Still snowing lightly, might hit a high of 27 °F today.

Status
Not open for further replies.