Where to place thermometer- wood stove insert

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Jan 25, 2017
New Hampshire
Hello all,

Hoping for some help again. We just bought a new home, with two inserts. The one we use the most is a Vermont casting Montpelier. My question is, where do I put the thermometer to get an accurate reading? I’m used to a wood stove, not an insert. Pics below of the insert.. if someone could point out where to put it, that would be helpful!

Thanks!

Attachments

• 86A873E8-A0EC-48AD-9773-F81BF6078567.jpeg
    86A873E8-A0EC-48AD-9773-F81BF6078567.jpeg
    81.1 KB · Views: 863
  • EA5AC056-C36C-4ABC-BABF-AC959D1B808B.jpeg
    EA5AC056-C36C-4ABC-BABF-AC959D1B808B.jpeg
    57.8 KB · Views: 638
Last edited:
It's a challenge. You could try a 2" dial surface thermometer in either of the corners above the door, but with the cast decorative triangles there I'm not sure how good the contact will be.
EA5AC056-C36C-4ABC-BABF-AC959D1B808B.jpg

Thermo's dont work correctly on inserts. Only thing would be a probe in the pipe....

Thermo's dont work correctly on inserts. Only thing would be a probe in the pipe....
I perfer a remote pipe thermometer as well but thermometers can work. The reading wont be the same as a stovetop measurment but it can still give you the info you need.

I perfer a remote pipe thermometer as well but thermometers can work. The reading wont be the same as a stovetop measurment but it can still give you the info you need.

I just use my laser thermo for a look when im bored. I mostly go off flame activity to decide on when to dial back. May be hard if window is caked over or a cat stove but its worked for me so far.

bholler, do you have this Auber instrument? if so how do you like it?
Yes i do. I love it. It makes it so i can monitor my basement stove from the couch in the livingroom upstairs.

I just use my laser thermo for a look when im bored. I mostly go off flame activity to decide on when to dial back. May be hard if window is caked over or a cat stove but its worked for me so far.

This is what I do. I can shoot the laser onto the base of the flue pipe.