Wood stove boot on metal roof

  • Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

    We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

    We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

ReneMoss

New Member
Sep 15, 2026
2
Vermont, USA
Hello all,
I am building a camp in central VT. We're about to install a metal seam roof. We have an old wood stove. What type of boot do we need to put in place before the roof install? The roofer wants us to have the boot in place before hand. The roof is a 12 pitch and it's an old Vermont castings. Thanks!
 
The hole for the chimney pipe gets cut ahead of time, but the flashing boot goes on after the roof is down. There are flashings meant for metal seam roofs. This picture shows ICC Excel which is often used.

[Hearth.com] Wood stove boot on metal roof

Instructions for the roofer are here, though he should know this.
 
  • Like
Reactions: bholler
Hello all,
I am building a camp in central VT. We're about to install a metal seam roof. We have an old wood stove. What type of boot do we need to put in place before the roof install? The roofer wants us to have the boot in place before hand. The roof is a 12 pitch and it's an old Vermont castings. Thanks!
Metal flashing made for metal excell and ventis make ones. And if your roofer wants it down first find a new roofer
 
I imagine the roofer wants it on hand rather than installed first, maybe some words got mixed up (hopefully)😬
 
  • Like
Reactions: GG Woody
Question: I just installed an Excel flashing (like the one in begreen's image) and am happy with it. However, I might kind of understand what the roofer is asking here. If the chimney pipe was present and the flashing was simply slipped over it (but not screwed down etc.), wouldn't that allow him to easily drape the upper panels over the flashing and avoid the necessity of having to cut the ~23" wide x 1/8" slot (as per the Excel instructions) through those panels to slide the top edge of the flashing through them?

That was the only part of the install that was problematic for me. I just want to be sure I understand what you more experienced folks are thinking in case I ever have to do this again!
 
Do you really seal the bottom like the pic shows? Seems you would want to give water a way out from under that thing.
 
  • Like
Reactions: stoveliker
Do you really seal the bottom like the pic shows? Seems you would want to give water a way out from under that thing.
I never do. You want water even if just from condensation to have a way out
 
  • Like
Reactions: Highbeam
I sealed the lower edge of mine because it’s pretty far down the roof and I was worried about ice creep getting back under it. However, I did leave three “weep holes“ to allow for some moisture to escape.
 
  • Like
Reactions: Highbeam
Do you really seal the bottom like the pic shows? Seems you would want to give water a way out from under that thing.
That's what I recall too. I have questioned that with Excel (their picture) and got no response.