Where to put the pump

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Gary S

Jun 18, 2008
Southwestern Wisconsin
I am helping my nephew install his outdoor wood boiler. It is a Heat Master 5000. I know there are options (supply, return, in the house) on where to put the pump but I was wondering what you folks recommend. Thanks

Most folks put the pump on the return side. Pumping towards the boiler. Cooler water through your pump typically helps prolong the life of the pump....

Doing so will also help prevent pump cavitation which an open system is more susceptable to.

Also do the search thing and look for the many threads here on how to choose appropriate size lines for your plumbing, and how best to put them in so that you heat your house instead of the dirt in the trench...

Quite aside from the pollution and wood consumption issues, it seems the biggest problems we see with OWB installs are undersized lines and bad insulation jobs - both are hard to fix and will cause you lots of expense if not fixed, along with possibly causing the entire setup to not work as it should.

Gooserider

Status
Not open for further replies.