Where to stack...

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Dustin

Minister of Fire
Sep 3, 2008
Western Oregon
I have plenty of wood for this winter..most of it is in the shed, but the remaining two cords are stacked on the side of the house, where the sun hits from about noon until it goes down. We also get a fair ammount of wind on that side of the house. I plan on keeping the two seasoned cords there, just to keep drying until I need them. Can never be too dry!

Anyway, my girlfriends uncle has a bunch of land, and some living, green alder tree's he just fell. He wants me to hack em up, and take them home.

My only problem...

I have a GREAT location to stack them this very, very green almost still alive wood. It's a nice flat area, and out of the way of everything. The problem is it's in the shade. It's directly under a hugle maple tree, and a cedar tree.

This area is in the shade almost all day, except in the earley morning, and it still wont get much sun there.

I don't plan on touching this wood after it's stack until december of 2009.

My question is, will it need constant sun to season? Or will the warm temps during the summer take care of it.

My worry is, it will be cooler in the shade, and the wood won't get the occasional 90 degree days we get in oregon during the summer.

Any thoughts?

Well split wood will season no matter where it's stacked...of course there are better locations but you have to go with what works best for you. Stack it where it's out of the way...if the wood doesn't get sun it now becomes important to cover the tops to prevent rotting/molding. If you process that wood soon it'll be more than ready by next season.

Alder is one of those aspen like dealios, right? Light wood? It should dry pretty well in a year split and stacked no matter where you put it short of a swamp. I guess that you have lots of rain out there, ya? Might cover the top when you can later summer next year.

Alder seasons quick, but if I remember right from when I had some many years ago, it does soak up water pretty easy, so keep it off the ground with a cover on the top. Make sure it does not get buried with leaves from that overhead maple. Once that maple loses its leaves you'll have a little less shade.

Much of mine is under pine trees.
It seasons fine.

If you needed it this year, then you'd pick a spot to maximize seasoning advantages.

Just consider that spot a slow roaster.

D/F said:
I have plenty of wood for this winter..most of it is in the shed, but the remaining two cords are stacked on the side of the house, where the sun hits from about noon until it goes down. We also get a fair ammount of wind on that side of the house. I plan on keeping the two seasoned cords there, just to keep drying until I need them. Can never be too dry!

Anyway, my girlfriends uncle has a bunch of land, and some living, green alder tree's he just fell. He wants me to hack em up, and take them home.

My only problem...

I have a GREAT location to stack them this very, very green almost still alive wood. It's a nice flat area, and out of the way of everything. The problem is it's in the shade. It's directly under a hugle maple tree, and a cedar tree.

This area is in the shade almost all day, except in the earley morning, and it still wont get much sun there.

I don't plan on touching this wood after it's stack until december of 2009.

My question is, will it need constant sun to season? Or will the warm temps during the summer take care of it.

My worry is, it will be cooler in the shade, and the wood won't get the occasional 90 degree days we get in oregon during the summer.

Any thoughts?

No.

Be sure you keep it dry and off the ground. Alder gets punky very quickly when left out.

Status
Not open for further replies.