where to store 'the gear' in truck

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I like the headache rack box idea. But when I get my 99 F-250 going I am going to cut out the quarter panel infront of the rear tire and put in one of those under bed boxes they use on flatbed trucks. I am sure I can make it look good enough that it won't be a eyesore.

Billy

I think under the bed is the best place. It won't take away from bed space and the load will not block access. That is my plan for the old flatbed, I just don't have to money to spend on good underbody boxes right now. One of my boxes will likely have to be custom built so that it is long enough for my saw w/bar and short enough to fit between the cab and the rear wheel. That's why I have the quickie home made setup that I use now.

They don't make short bed regular cab super duty fords. Not in dually either. The shortest configuration is a short bed extended cab. The extended cab adds only a small amount of length, the crew cab is a monster. I have seen a few ext cab short bed duallies but they are rare and with a lightweight gas engine and two wheel drive they can have impressive payload numbers.

So what's 300 lbs? If you're smart and get the F350 vs. the F250 then 300 lbs is less than 1/8th of the payload capacity. Always get the F350 for that additional 1000 lbs of payload with no real changes in the truck.

Highbeam said:
They don't make short bed regular cab super duty fords. Not in dually either. The shortest configuration is a short bed extended cab. The extended cab adds only a small amount of length, the crew cab is a monster. I have seen a few ext cab short bed duallies but they are rare and with a lightweight gas engine and two wheel drive they can have impressive payload numbers.

So what's 300 lbs? If you're smart and get the F350 vs. the F250 then 300 lbs is less than 1/8th of the payload capacity. Always get the F350 for that additional 1000 lbs of payload with no real changes in the truck.
Thanks, I could have sworn I saw a SB DRW Reg cab once, but it's harder to tell, because that flare. Anyway, while it's debateable, if you get a ford, don't sweat the 350 v 250. they are the same exact truck EXCEPT for a little bit extra of a rubber block to keep the rear from sagging when fully loaded. If you add timbrens or swap that from a 350 then your 250 can haul the same as a 350 (this isn't legally, though. you are always limited to that sticker on the door)

Close Danno, but that rubber block is actually a cast iron lift block between the axle and the rear leaf springs. The F350 version is about 4 inches tall and the F250 version is 2" less. I know this for certain as earlier this year I converted to the F250 lift block to make the bed lower to the ground. It helped quite a lot even though it was only 2 inches. I have seen no other real difference between F250 and F350.

That little sticker on the door is VERY important and you can't change it. It is tied to your VIN. Yes, this is a legal issue only but the risk far outweighs the benefits of only getting an F250.

I plan to add timbrens when I haven't spent my toy budget. I had them on my last truck and thought they were super great. I've put this F350's frame on axle more than a few times already so the timbrens would fit the bill.

Highbeam said:
Close Danno, but that rubber block is actually a cast iron lift block between the axle and the rear leaf springs. The F350 version is about 4 inches tall and the F250 version is 2" less. I know this for certain as earlier this year I converted to the F250 lift block to make the bed lower to the ground. It helped quite a lot even though it was only 2 inches. I have seen no other real difference between F250 and F350.

That little sticker on the door is VERY important and you can't change it. It is tied to your VIN. Yes, this is a legal issue only but the risk far outweighs the benefits of only getting an F250.

I plan to add timbrens when I haven't spent my toy budget. I had them on my last truck and thought they were super great. I've put this F350's frame on axle more than a few times already so the timbrens would fit the bill.
yes, now that you explain it, that's exactly what I remember finding before on the Ford forums...

Now, what i can't seem to find is whether or not the same is true between Chevy/GMC and Dodge 3/4 and 1 tons.....

Danno77 said:
Now, what i can't seem to find is whether or not the same is true between Chevy/GMC and Dodge 3/4 and 1 tons.....

Who cares?

Said the Ford guy. :lol:

Now don't get started on THAT old debate! :snake: BTW, most of the older Chevys didn't come with lift blocks on the rear axle. My springs are stock, but the rears are a very thick muti-leaf pack, no blocks.

Sorry, I couldn't help it. I believe that Ford, Chevy/GMC, and Dodge trucks are probably all just fine. Each have their weaknesses and strengths, but I think it just comes down to what you like and what you are used to. Kinda like the two chainsaws.

Beetle-Kill said:
Two chainsaws? you mean Craftsman and Poulan? %-P

Are there any others?

smokinjay said:
Archer39 said:
my 372 with a 20" bar fits just fine on the floor of my reg cab with the bar going over the hump in the middle. With the 32" bar the saw goes on the bench seat. I store all my supplies in a milk crate and that either sits on the seat or the floor depending on where the saw is. I cover the seat whenever i put gear in the truck. If i have the chains, cables and ropes along they (also in a 2 milk crates) ride on the seat and serve as a arm rest. This is in a 93 dodge w-250.
My 880 just fits in the bed of my truck the bar slides in under the tool box...One more inch on the bar and it would not fit!

I guess its time for a real truck with an 8' bed then. :)

oldspark said:
Archer39 said:
my 372 with a 20" bar fits just fine on the floor of my reg cab with the bar going over the hump in the middle. With the 32" bar the saw goes on the bench seat. I store all my supplies in a milk crate and that either sits on the seat or the floor depending on where the saw is. I cover the seat whenever i put gear in the truck. If i have the chains, cables and ropes along they (also in a 2 milk crates) ride on the seat and serve as a arm rest. This is in a 93 dodge w-250.
Where does the dog ride when you have all that gear in there? Big Puppy! :)

He drives and i take a seat in the bed when the 32" bar is on. :p

Chevys have always been much lower to the ground. I really miss that feature as I am always loading and unloading the bed or reaching in to pick up something in the front of the bed. Even something as simple as swapping saw chains on the tailgate is easier when the tailgate is at a normal height.

You haven't lived until you've tried to load a wet muddy motorcycle into the bed of an F350 after a brutal off road race.

Status
Not open for further replies.