Which IR Thermometer?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

kraco14

Jan 5, 2017
NE Georgia
I've searched the forums and haven't quite found my answer yet. I'm wondering which IR thermometer I need to buy. I've realized that the cheap Rutland thermometers that I've been using aren't very accurate, especially since my kids like to play with the needle (while the stove is cold) when I'm not watching. I'm looking for a somewhat accurate (doesn't have to be spot on) thermometer that I don't need to take a small loan out on.

Appreciate the help.

I bought a craftsman one for $20. I tested it against my fluke a high dollar one from work and it’s always within 2 degrees.

Bought a cheap one from HarborFreight and it was fairly close to my Condar thermometer . . . close enough for my purposes anyways.

Here's what I have. Works perfectly for me. I'd say it's pretty accurate going off bouncing it off things throughout the room. The closer you are, the more accurate it reads. Ideally I measure the stove at less than 2 feet.

Nubee Temperature Gun Non-contact Digital Laser Infrared IR Thermometer https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00CVHIJDK/?tag=hearthamazon-20
311ce344177b25a1481303741ebb5468.jpg

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Just bought this one this week. Seems fairly accurate. This one looks a lot like the Nubee mentioned above. Just check the temp range on whatever you buy. I chose this one because of the higher temp rang.

Sent from my iPhone using TapatalkView attachment 219447