Which moisture meter to buy

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Kevin Weis

Minister of Fire
Mar 3, 2018
Union Bridge, Md
Need advice on this as there seem to be dozens out there around the same money. I did buy a cheap on off eBay that seems to work okay for $14 but is there something out here that's better for the money. Don't really want to go over $40. Maybe that's a pie in the sky? Kevin

I have a Dr. Meter I bought on amazon. CHEAP about $18. Works good though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Reactions: Kevin Weis
Appreciate the responses. I figured I would test the calibration by putting metal (kitchen knife) between electrodes and got 99% plus, so it seems to accurate. Kevin.

I have been using this one and it seems to work great

ab12a8042a73d804dccb04451b04ed40.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
The main differences are not so much accuracy. They all work on the same simple principle. But there are differences in construction. My first one broke at the bulkhead because I was a little too aggressive one time. I still have a cheap one, but it's small and has thin pins so they push in much easier.

Appreciate the responses. I figured I would test the calibration by putting metal (kitchen knife) between electrodes and got 99% plus, so it seems to accurate. Kevin.
A better quick test is to put the pins on your palm. Should read about 35%. Most meters are not accurate above something like 40% anyway. Sounds funny, but it works and is more consistent than you may think.

Anyone know which professional moisture meters are used by the EPA approved test labs? Ben Myren swears by one brand but I lost track of which one.