Which new Echo Chainsaws are farm/ranch grade?

NoPaint

Feeling the Heat
Jan 2, 2009
USA
Home Depot carriers a number of Echo chainsaws but are they homeowner grade or better? I also see some new Echo's with black colored pull start covers - are these the heavier grade saws? I always liked the older echo stuff but I don't know what I am looking at when shopping for the new Echo stuff.

RockyMtnGriz

Apr 19, 2019
SW Montana
Google up the Echo catalog. It breaks it down pretty well in one or two pages. The black cover saws I see there are homeowner grade, except for the biggest saw - that you won't find at HD. I don't get to HD much, but I would say that 7 or so years ago, they dropped all but the smaller, entry level saws, at least in-store. I remember seeing a lot of nice stuff in the clearance pile at that time, The models ending in P are the heavy duty stuff, and you can get them online at HD.

I have a CS501P, and it's a nice little saw. I don't know that it's any better than, or as good as, the equivalent Stihl, but the non-electronic carb appealed to me, since I stay at the same altitude all the time, and can fix whatever goes wrong with an old school carb in 10 minutes and get back to work. There tends to be a little bit of a price premium for the P series stuff, and I'm not sure all of it is justified by the better parts. Half of the premium is a premium for the seller, on the top of the line models. I think. So, if you're not likely to wear out the bar on the value series saws, like the Timberwolf, that's probably where the best value is for most users.

FramerJ

Mar 18, 2021
Missouri
Home Depot carriers a number of Echo chainsaws but are they homeowner grade or better? I also see some new Echo's with black colored pull start covers - are these the heavier grade saws? I always liked the older echo stuff but I don't know what I am looking at when shopping for the new Echo stuff.
I bought the CS501P a few weeks ago. It was between that and the Stihl 261cm. Both are 50cc, weigh 10.4lbs. The 501 has 3.5hp and the 261 has 4.0 but does cost approx $140 more and has Mtronic. I went with the Echo because I am just not ready for computerized equipment on my chainsaws. I have bucked several trees with it so far. Its a nice saw. Starts up cold, starts up hot. The 501 is considered Pro grade.

I dont know if there is any truth to it, but I tend to think that any name brand items sold at big box stores are of somewhat lesser quality then those sold at dealers. A plastic part is used instead of a metal part to meet the price point--that sort of thing. I dont know if Echo is like that but I bought mine from a local dealer, not HD.