Which new Echo Chainsaws are farm/ranch grade?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

NoPaint

Feeling the Heat
Jan 2, 2009
USA
Home Depot carriers a number of Echo chainsaws but are they homeowner grade or better? I also see some new Echo's with black colored pull start covers - are these the heavier grade saws? I always liked the older echo stuff but I don't know what I am looking at when shopping for the new Echo stuff.

Google up the Echo catalog. It breaks it down pretty well in one or two pages. The black cover saws I see there are homeowner grade, except for the biggest saw - that you won't find at HD. I don't get to HD much, but I would say that 7 or so years ago, they dropped all but the smaller, entry level saws, at least in-store. I remember seeing a lot of nice stuff in the clearance pile at that time, The models ending in P are the heavy duty stuff, and you can get them online at HD.

I have a CS501P, and it's a nice little saw. I don't know that it's any better than, or as good as, the equivalent Stihl, but the non-electronic carb appealed to me, since I stay at the same altitude all the time, and can fix whatever goes wrong with an old school carb in 10 minutes and get back to work. There tends to be a little bit of a price premium for the P series stuff, and I'm not sure all of it is justified by the better parts. Half of the premium is a premium for the seller, on the top of the line models. I think. So, if you're not likely to wear out the bar on the value series saws, like the Timberwolf, that's probably where the best value is for most users.

Home Depot carriers a number of Echo chainsaws but are they homeowner grade or better? I also see some new Echo's with black colored pull start covers - are these the heavier grade saws? I always liked the older echo stuff but I don't know what I am looking at when shopping for the new Echo stuff.
I bought the CS501P a few weeks ago. It was between that and the Stihl 261cm. Both are 50cc, weigh 10.4lbs. The 501 has 3.5hp and the 261 has 4.0 but does cost approx $140 more and has Mtronic. I went with the Echo because I am just not ready for computerized equipment on my chainsaws. I have bucked several trees with it so far. Its a nice saw. Starts up cold, starts up hot. The 501 is considered Pro grade.

I dont know if there is any truth to it, but I tend to think that any name brand items sold at big box stores are of somewhat lesser quality then those sold at dealers. A plastic part is used instead of a metal part to meet the price point--that sort of thing. I dont know if Echo is like that but I bought mine from a local dealer, not HD.

I have run their professional grade saws recently, and was impressed with their X series. The 7310P is a nice saw.

I have a cs-620p with a 24” bar...it’s a beast. Haven’t ran it a bunch but what I have I like it. Got it on echos version of dealer days for $500 out the door last spring.

Last edited:
Reactions: duramaxman05
I handled an Echo CS-3510 at home depot today and I was shocked how cruddy it seemed.

My little limbing saw is a ~5 year old CS-310, and I am quite fond of the little guy. It's also a ~30cc plastic homeowner saw, but it feels much more sturdy than the newer saw.

The top cover on the 3510 is this extremely thin plastic plate held on with what had to be 22 gauge sheet metal clips, with special little ends on them so you can't get your fingers in there. The whole top cover, which is large, bends alarmingly during normal removal and replacement.

I didn't pull any other covers, but I was already at "hard no" after just looking in the top.

I get that they market it as being extra lightweight, but it didn't seem like something that would hold up to limbing work, which is what I'd be looking at a 35cc saw for.

I bought the CS501P a few weeks ago. It was between that and the Stihl 261cm. Both are 50cc, weigh 10.4lbs. The 501 has 3.5hp and the 261 has 4.0 but does cost approx $140 more and has Mtronic. I went with the Echo because I am just not ready for computerized equipment on my chainsaws. I have bucked several trees with it so far. Its a nice saw. Starts up cold, starts up hot. The 501 is considered Pro grade.

I dont know if there is any truth to it, but I tend to think that any name brand items sold at big box stores are of somewhat lesser quality then those sold at dealers. A plastic part is used instead of a metal part to meet the price point--that sort of thing. I dont know if Echo is like that but I bought mine from a local dealer, not HD.

Pull the limiter caps and give it a tune. New Echos tend to run very lean. They also tend to be choked up at the exhaust. A muffler mod and a carb tune can really perk up a lot of saws, and homeowner Echos are high on the list.

I've heard that big box thing a million times but I've never seen an actual example to back it up. I have it filed in the same drawer with "You Can't Burn Pine In A Wood Stove" and "You'll Catch A Cold If You Get Wet".

Pull the limiter caps and give it a tune. New Echos tend to run very lean. They also tend to be choked up at the exhaust. A muffler mod and a carb tune can really perk up a lot of saws, and homeowner Echos are high on the list.

I've heard that big box thing a million times but I've never seen an actual example to back it up. I have it filed in the same drawer with "You Can't Burn Pine In A Wood Stove" and "You'll Catch A Cold If You Get Wet".
Thanks for the tip. I might try that on my Echo once I get more familiar with doing that sort of thing. I dug out my old Mcculloch Silver Eagle last week and have been messing around with that.

I can think of 2 examples right off the top of my head about the big box thing. 1)Once as a project manager, I had a homeowner buy a faucet from one of the BB stores and my plumber would not install and warranty it. He went through his supplier and got the same model (in name but different model number) and took them apart. Different pieces. 2)As a framer, I have owned a few nail guns over the years. At first, I had to buy them from a supplier but for the last 10-15 years you can now buy them at the BB stores. I have boxes full of parts--they are not all the same. These two examples dont really prove much in the grand scheme of things. Just my personal experience. Maybe the manufacturers were going "another route". I will throw out another one-- you cant tell me that those John Deere mowers sitting out front of Lowes are of the same quality as one from a dealer but cost $2000 less. Not loving or hating on JD. Its just an observation I make every time I go to Lowes thats all.

I picked up an Echo 3510 yesterday. I wanted a lightweight saw. I am certainly not a saw expert, but I have a Husky 460 and Stihl 390. I looked at the Stihl 180 and Husky 120 and all 3 saws looked to be comparable build quality. Went for the 3510 over the 310 for the reduced weight and a tad more power. Also, improved air filtration, cooling, and oiling. The 3510 was also lighter than the Husky and Stihl by my feel. A little more oomph too.

Last edited: