Which polesaw to buy?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

hpcbmw

Oct 11, 2015
NorCal
I've just bought some property with alot of trees that need trimming and cutting. Based on some great advice on this forum I got a 42cc poulan chainsaw on sale that is working great. Now I need a polesaw. I see lots of electri ones in the $100 to $150 range. I've got a generator and good extension cord, so could use an electric, but I'm looking to cut some larger branches, maybe 5" or 6" diameter - would an electric cut that big?

Any suggestions? I also see a used Husqvarna gas polesaw (sp?) on CL for $225.00. Is that a better way to go?

Any input is appreciated!

Thanks Treepointer - I didn't find that in my search (I searched titles for polesaw, not pole saw). Some good info in that thread that will help me with my research.

A few questions and items for your purchase consideration:
Do you really need a power pole saw ? How many trees per day ? What kind of production do you require ? What is the purpose ? General property maintenance ? or Tree Farm ? What diameter branches do you regularly anticipate cutting ?

If occasional use, of small diameter branches, then a non-powered (manual) pole saw might work well. They are light. Many saw blades these days are tri-cut, taper-ground blades, and with aggressive tooth pattern (~ 6 teeth per inch) that cut very quickly. They are wickedly sharp.
A rule-of-thumb is that hand saws can easily cut up wood to diameter of half length of the saw blade.

Forestry Suppliers http://www.forestry-suppliers.com/search.asp?stext=pole saw carries manual and power pole saws (Echo & Oregon)
Sherrill Tree http://www.sherrilltree.com/Poles#!Poles, an arborist supply website, also carry both manual and power (Echo), and even ADI hydraulic units powered off an APU.

* Adjustable, telescopic (aluminum) extension pole saws are convenient but user needs to be careful not to damage extensions (and don't use in proximity to overhead electric wires !!! ). Silky makes pole saws, albeit expensive, that come in a variety of lengths (up to 20').
I haven't used their saws, but Wicked Tree Gear Tough Pole Saw sold by Forestry Suppliers, is a collapsable, telescoping pole saw that seems more durable http://wickedtreegear.com/index.html .
* Fixed extension (fiberglass - hollow or foam, and wood) are less expensive, are typically more durable, and are good for utility, commercial use. They come in sections of 3', 4', 6' and 8'; even 12' sections (from Forestry Suppliers). Buy a blade to suit your setup. Long fixed pole saws are not as convenient as adjustable poles, but more durable and probably more practical. Wood, especially spruce/ hemlock is cheap and light, yet durable.

An advantage of non-powered pole saws is that they are lighter, especially at the saw end, which is good when moving pole saw through crown for multiple cuts, and manual pole saws can can reach farther. Powered pole saws often have much weight at saw end, increasing user fatigue (shoulder). The novelty of using powered pole saws wears off after 5 minutes. Also, chain-saws-on-a-stick are a one-fer. Can't be used for much else, and one more engine to maintain.
STIHL has its Battery KombiSystem, and with the quality of Li batteries steadily improving that might worth further consideration.
Don't know anything about Husky pole saws, but for $225 you might want to chance a purchase off of CL. I agree that electric units w/ cord would seem to be a PIA.

I'm not saying to not buy a power pole saw, just don't discount non powered pole saws in your consideration.
Either way make sure you wear proper PPE - helmut, face shield, with eye protection. Understand limits and hazards of cutting with a pole saws.

Reactions: Jon1270
Also, to the OP: be very careful when doing such cutting. A falling 5-6" branch is heavy enough to be deadly.

Reactions: D8Chumley
I've got an older manual polesaw and it's alot of work! I'm going to check out the harbor freight electric, on sale for $75 rght now, plus I've got a 20% off coupon. I'll see if it fits the bill.

I just bought a house on 3/4 acre and I've got alot of 10' high limbs that are about 2-6" diameter that I'd like to cut (a lot meaning 80- 100 of them). I'll see how much of a PITA dealing with the ext cord is. If the HF saw turns out to be crap, or the ext cord is to much hassle, I'll return it and look for something better in gas or battery power.

Once I've got the majority of the limbs cleared, I'll just need a polesaw for yearly maintenance. Basically, this year I'll use the crap out of it, and for the next 10 years I'll use it a couple hours per year. If the HF holds up to the heavy use this year, it will be worth the cheap price.

Thanks for the input.

I've got an older manual polesaw and it's alot of work! I'm going to check out the harbor freight electric, on sale
If you have an old pole saw, and it has the old style blade/ teeth you might want to switch out for new razor tooth (tri-cut teeth) blade. Like chain saw sharp teeth can make a big difference.

I recently bought a Stihl pole saw. 110R or something like that. Upgrade from the 55R which I sold. Love it.

Sportbikerider, that Husky come with the saw attachment for that price? If so that's a good deal. My Echo was $400 cash OTD, and it's a slightly smaller powerhead also. I've used mine 3-4 times and like it a lot. Like was stated, I won't use it much, maybe 3-4x a year but I have it now and it's paid for. Maybe I'll get the leaf blower attachment for it next. Jon1270- PSAD? Too funny brother!

Trap a porcupine and throw it up in the tree. What could go wrong?

PORCUPINE-EATING-BIRCH-TREE.jpg

Reactions: JimBear
I bought a used Echo pole saw years ago for $100. It works good and the funny thing with a pole saw chain is it never seems to need to be sharpened since there’s no dirt on those high branches to dull them up. The bad thing though is ... is that it is long and I don’t have a garage to keep it in but a neighbor down the road who has many trees keeps it for me in his big garage. The new ones are telescoping I think.

Pole saws are needed way too infrequently for me to buy one, so every 3-4 years or so I just rent one for a day.

Sportbikerider, that Husky come with the saw attachment for that price? If so that's a good deal. My Echo was $400 cash OTD, and it's a slightly smaller powerhead also. I've used mine 3-4 times and like it a lot. Like was stated, I won't use it much, maybe 3-4x a year but I have it now and it's paid for. Maybe I'll get the leaf blower attachment for it next. Jon1270- PSAD? Too funny brother!
Yes..with everything you need.

I've just bought some property with alot of trees that need trimming and cutting. Based on some great advice on this forum I got a 42cc poulan chainsaw on sale that is working great. Now I need a polesaw. I see lots of electri ones in the $100 to $150 range. I've got a generator and good extension cord, so could use an electric, but I'm looking to cut some larger branches, maybe 5" or 6" diameter - would an electric cut that big?

Any suggestions? I also see a used Husqvarna gas polesaw (sp?) on CL for $225.00. Is that a better way to go?

Any input is appreciated!

That's not a bad price. My new Husqvarna pole saw was about $550 and that was a bout three years ago. Kevin

Pole saws are needed way too infrequently for me to buy one, so every 3-4 years or so I just rent one for a day.

I’m not usually a fan of interchangeable powerhead systems, but this is an application where the Stihl Kombi really shines. One powerhead is my bed redefiner in spring, trimmer all summer, and pole saw or hedge trimmer as needed.

Reactions: D8Chumley