Which Roxul product?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Jon1270

Minister of Fire
Aug 25, 2012
Pittsburgh, PA
www.workbyhand.com
I'm planning to insulate around my insert and above the damper / blockoff plate. Roxul is frequently suggested around here, but it's a special-order item in my neighborhood and when I tried to figure out what to ask for, I discovered that Roxul makes many different products with varying thicknesses, densities, R-valules, etc. Which did you use?

Personally - and with limited experience - I would say what ever is cheapest. Unless you're filling a mammoth flue even their smallest bale will leave you with excess. You'll end up breaking it into smaller pieces to work it into place so, to me, there is no value in buying it thicker (hence higher R) or in larger batts. I bought the least expensive bale Lowe's had...I've done my flue, a neighbor packed his smoke box and I still have half of it left. If you have a Lowes check with them if you haven't, here in RI it's a stock item. If you can't get Roxul brand then I believe any mineral wool insulation will work as well (check the flame ratings on the package or manufacturer's website)....just don't use fiberglass.

Don't buy the SafeNSound, you can't claim a tax credit from that, since it doesn't have a R-value rating.

TE

Status
Not open for further replies.