Which Saw To Get?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
In my area is says on the gas pump that up to 10% ethanol by volume. I leave gas it in when i store it. I had it serviced like 1 month ago and they changed the filters and everything. I just wonder if they have checked the fuel line. I have had my dealer work on this saw 3 times for this problem with no luck. I wonder if they would normally check the fuel line?

mayhem said:
crocboy25 said:
Interesting.... thanks for the information. Is that something I could do or should the dealership handle a task such as that?

I've never had to replace one in a saw personally, but other than maybe some potentially tricky routing I really can't see this as being all that hard to do...get a couple feet of the right diameter silicone (or whatever the line is appropriately made out of) and a new fule filter (goes on the tank end of the hose I beleive), pull it apart and have at it.

Out of curiosity, do you use ethanol gas in your area and when you store your saw, do you run it dry or leave fuel in it?

Fuel lines are simple. Take out the old line and filter. Then thread some 30 lb. test fishing line down threw the case and in to the tank. Reach in with some forceps and pull the fishing line out of the tank fill hole.

Take the new fuel line and if it is not already done, cut one end at a sharp angle. Punch a hole threw that end of the line and tie in the fishing line. Then attach the new filter to the other end. Heavily lube the angled end with some 2 stroke oil.

Grab the fishing line and pull the fuel line up through the fuel line tank opening and the case.

Cut off the angled end of the fuel line so it is straight and attach it to the fuel inlet on the carb.

Sounds good to me. I will check it out tonight and see what I can get done. Thanks to everyone for their help. I will post tomorrow what I find. It does sound like a cracked fuel line.

HittinSteel said:
Fuel lines are simple. Take out the old line and filter. Then thread some 30 lb. test fishing line down threw the case and in to the tank. Reach in with some forceps and pull the fishing line out of the tank fill hole.

Take the new fuel line and if it is not already done, cut one end at a sharp angle. Punch a hole threw that end of the line and tie in the fishing line. Then attach the new filter to the other end. Heavily lube the angled end with some 2 stroke oil.

Grab the fishing line and pull the fuel line up through the fuel line tank opening and the case.

Cut off the angled end of the fuel line so it is straight and attach it to the fuel inlet on the carb.

Just a thought, do I need to remove the fuel tank in order to get the old line and the new line in? Any part I need to remove that you can think of? I am at work now and dont have it in front of me. I havent removed one before.

HittinSteel said:

crocboy25 said:
Just a thought, do I need to remove the fuel tank in order to get the old line and the new line in? Any part I need to remove that you can think of? I am at work now and dont have it in front of me. I havent removed one before.

HittinSteel said:

No need to remove the fuel tank hemostats are your friend.

No need to disassemble, just fish out the old line and filter through the gas fill hole. Take the old filter off and then unhook the other end from the carb elbow......... and then pull it out.

crocboy25 said:
In my area is says on the gas pump that up to 10% ethanol by volume. I leave gas it in when i store it. I had it serviced like 1 month ago and they changed the filters and everything. I just wonder if they have checked the fuel line. I have had my dealer work on this saw 3 times for this problem with no luck. I wonder if they would normally check the fuel line?

This sounds more and more like a fuel line. Leaving gas with ethanol in it in the tank (and thereby in the fuel line and carb) is going to wear your fuel system out quickly. The first symptom is usually hairline fractures in the fuel line...they become brittle and start to crack. Not sure why your dealer didn't bother since its fairly easy and not an unusual problem at all these days.

Check it out, don't bother checking the old fuel line to see if it "seems" ok, just replace it and see how the saw behaves.

I don't have all that much experience working on saws but you may also want to replace/check the impulse line.

I spent a boat load of time going over the carb, fuel lines, spark ect...before discovering that impulse line (connects carb to the crankcase) went bad. I believe this line essentially creates a vacume pulling the fuel through the carb when the saw isn't upright.

You mentioned that "Seemed to try and correct itself when holding upright???"

Thanks friend... I will try it out when I get home. Have a good rest of your day.

Lee

HittinSteel said:
No need to disassemble, just fish out the old line and filter through the gas fill hole. Take the old filter off and then unhook the other end from the carb elbow......

... and then pull it out.

mayhem said:
This sounds more and more like a fuel line. Leaving gas with ethanol in it in the tank (and thereby in the fuel line and carb) is going to wear your fuel system out quickly. The first symptom is usually hairline fractures in the fuel line...they become brittle and start to crack. Not sure why your dealer didn't bother since its fairly easy and not an unusual problem at all these days.

Check it out, don't bother checking the old fuel line to see if it "seems" ok, just replace it and see how the saw behaves.

Seems to me, the ethanol thing here is a red herring. I'd be much more concerned about the particular plastic the lines are made of, and how easily they are de-plasticized by sustained exposure to gasoline. (Plasticizers are added to many plastics, to keep them plastic- cheap fix?)

Many lines used by Poulan have that problem. Otherwise, I routinely leave fuel in tank/lines with no problem. Seems also that DuPont Tygon is little affected by prolonged exposure to gasoline. Good luck with that "alcohol wearing out fuel system quickly" campaign.

A ton of posts about ethanol and fuel lines and such on the net, the fact of the matter is that ethanol sucks for some things.

I tried but could not get to the fuel line. I can see it inside the gas tank and can see where it leads out to up behind the throttle and everything. I took most of the frame off and still couldnt get to it. It isnt as easy as just sliding the fuel line out. It seems to have a double lip on it(on the inside and outside of the fuel tank) that prevents the line from moving. In order to get that out it seems like the whole friggin saw would need to be taken apart. I took everything off that I could get to but could not get the orange face plate completely off. Without that off it seems impossible to get to the all of the portions of the fuel line. What a pain in the rectum.

CTYank said:
mayhem said:

Seems to me, the ethanol thing here is a red herring. I'd be much more concerned about the particular plastic the lines are made of, and how easily they are de-plasticized by sustained exposure to gasoline. (Plasticizers are added to many plastics, to keep them plastic- cheap fix?)

Many lines used by Poulan have that problem. Otherwise, I routinely leave fuel in tank/lines with no problem. Seems also that DuPont Tygon is little affected by prolonged exposure to gasoline. Good luck with that "alcohol wearing out fuel system quickly" campaign.

I did hook the part of the fuel line inside of the gas tank and pull as much of that out as I could but didnt see anything obvious with that which doesnt mean much. In order to get it out I would have to pull it or yank it out which would cause damage. Clearly there must be an easier way to change this little fuel line. I have searched online for it and didnt see anything. the Stihl manual also doesnt cover the fuel line replacement. Grrr.

oldspark said:
Not sure if this is any help but its late and I am going to bed and I thought I would give it a shot.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JrXpU70Hmi0

Thanks for the video. However, my STIHL chainsaw seems a bit more complicated. The line on that craftsman was directly behind the air filter. The one on the stihl is also behind the air filter but also buried underneith more gears and springs which make it about impossible to get at....

Status
Not open for further replies.