Which Saw To Get?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

crocboy25

Dec 8, 2010
tallahassee fl
I recently(still going through it) went through a bad situation with an Stihl MS 390. Stupid thing kept choking down after cutting through log. Had it worked on many times and dealer couldnt find anything wrong it. Seemed to work for him but get it home and starts having issues.... odd. Seemed to try and correct itself when holding upright???

Anyways, I now need to get a new chainsaw. Tired of messing around with other one. I want one with more power and cutting ability than the MS 390. The 390 was nice in terms of power but since I am having to get another one I want one even stronger and with more cutting speed. Any suggestions on what would fit this bill? Doesnt have to be a Stihl but do want a good quality saw.

Any ideas?

Thanks

ms 441.

crocboy25 said:
What is the CC on that bad boy? Also, any idea on cost?

smokinjay said:

70cc pro saw not as fast as a 460 but tank fo tank it is as fast maybe faster given its fuel milage!

crocboy25 said:
Should be able to handle a 25 inch bar???

smokinjay said:
crocboy25 said:
Sweet, know what it costs on average?

smokinjay said:
crocboy25 said:
What is the CC on that bad boy? Also, any idea on cost?

smokinjay" date="1308071817 said:

70cc pro saw not as fast as a 460 but tank fo tank it is as fast maybe faster given its fuel milage!

20 inch to a 32 inch bar. ms 362 would be one set up the 441 is two steps up.

I can smell opportunity. Sometimes it smells like day old mayonnaise thats been left out in the sun.

I am selling it. I used it yesterday. Just after a while it starts to wanna choke down after it cuts through logs. My dealer has found nothing wrong it. I want a more powerful saw anyways.

Wanna buy it?

mayhem said:
Can I have the 390?

mayhem said:
I can smell opportunity. Sometimes it smells like day old mayonnaise thats been left out in the sun.

lol, :lol:

crocboy25 said:
I am selling it. I used it yesterday. Just after a while it starts to wanna choke down after it cuts through logs. My dealer has found nothing wrong it. I want a more powerful saw anyways.

Wanna buy it?

mayhem said:
Can I have the 390?

$50 plus shipping. Its broken. :)

This only has to work once.

mayhem said:
crocboy25 said:

Wanna buy it?

mayhem said:
Can I have the 390?

Seem to me anytime I take an interest into a tree they think there going to get rich quick and pull the plug.....Then that tree sets there for years going to rot! People do not under stand a Chainsaw miller looks at tree much different than saw mill does. So maybe he should pay shipping! :coolgrin:

Haha no thanks... A guy at work is going to get it for 400. The folks at my dealer are also interested in it.... they say there is nothing wrong with it.... maybe it is user error :p

smokinjay said:
mayhem said:
crocboy25 said:

Wanna buy it?

mayhem said:
Can I have the 390?

Seem to me anytime I take an interest into a tree they think there going to get rich quick and pull the plug.....Then that tree sets there for years going to rot! People do not under stand a Chainsaw miller looks at tree much different than saw mill does. So maybe he should pay shipping! :coolgrin:

crocboy25 said:
Haha no thanks... A guy at work is going to get it for 400. The folks at my dealer are also interested in it.... they say there is nothing wrong with it.... maybe it is user error :p

smokinjay said:
mayhem said:
crocboy25 said:

Wanna buy it?

mayhem said:
Can I have the 390?

Sounds like a small crack in one of the fuel lines!

Havent noticed it leaking. It is odd.... it is more likely to choke down if it is tilted forward. If I aim the bar tip up, it seems to right itself.

smokinjay said:
crocboy25 said:

smokinjay said:
mayhem said:
crocboy25 said:

Wanna buy it?

mayhem" date="1308074964 said:
Can I have the 390?

Sounds like a small crack in one of the fuel lines!

crocboy25 said:
If it is leaking wouldnt the dealership have found it? They have checked several times and found nothing. It normally runs fine for a little while but then the problem starts.

mayhem said:
^^ Exactly what I was thinking.

Very hard to find! Its one of those things you just replace and once you get them out of the saw then you can see it some times you cant.

Interesting.... thanks for the information. Is that something I could do or should the dealership handle a task such as that?

smokinjay said:
crocboy25 said:
If it is leaking wouldnt the dealership have found it? They have checked several times and found nothing. It normally runs fine for a little while but then the problem starts.

mayhem said:
^^ Exactly what I was thinking.

Very hard to find! Its one of those things you just replace and once you get them out of the saw then you can see it some times you cant.

In today's ethanol-rich fuel environment (and cheap parts like fuel lines), this sort of thing is rapidly becoming a biannual maintenance item...and one of the first things you replace when you start having weird problems. Seems like I hear more about hairline cracks in fuel lines these days than carbs out of whack or bad plugs.

mayhem said:
In today's ethanol-rich fuel environment (and cheap parts like fuel lines), this sort of thing is rapidly becoming a biannual maintenance item...and one of the first things you replace when you start having weird problems. Seems like I hear more about hairline cracks in fuel lines these days than carbs out of whack or bad plugs.

Yes 1000:1

[quote author="crocboy25" date="1308079027"]Interesting.... thanks for the information. Is that something I could do or should the dealership handle a task such as that?

I've never had to replace one in a saw personally, but other than maybe some potentially tricky routing I really can't see this as being all that hard to do...get a couple feet of the right diameter silicone (or whatever the line is appropriately made out of) and a new fule filter (goes on the tank end of the hose I beleive), pull it apart and have at it.

Out of curiosity, do you use ethanol gas in your area and when you store your saw, do you run it dry or leave fuel in it?

Status
Not open for further replies.