Which Stove do we Choose?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Sep 4, 2020
Joseph, OR
Hello -

We are moving from the desert to the snow! Very excited, but I have not had a wood stove since childhood.

Any advice on which stove we should choose would be welcome.

Placing the wood stove in a 600sf house with an open floor plan, pretty well insulated, in a region where winter temps drop into the teens at night. We would like to have something that will still have coals to start a fire in the mornings. This will be a secondary heat source, but power goes out often. Ability to cook on the stove is a must for power outages. I'd like a wood box that can accommodate either a EW load or a NS load. Ability to remove ashes when stove is hot. Top load is a new concept for me, but it sounds nice...? Clean burning EPA certified is required for our area.

We are happy to buy new, but used is great too if you folks think there is a model no longer made that would suit our needs best.

Thank you in advance for your advice and expertise.

600 sqft, you may want to look into specific wood fired cook stoves to be honest, that way you have both bases covered and smaller place.

I have thought about that, but in the summer we won't need to heat the house at all and it would be nice to have a regular range for cooking.

I am leaning toward a Pacific Energy Alderlea T5. Any thoughts?

I think the T5 is a big stove...not as big as the T6, but still big.

Not sure if Vermont Castings has updated their Aspen model or if Jotul has updated their Black Bear 118 model, but I think these might fit your size better. Front n/s load, time proven (100-150 years) cigar burn. However, you will have to look and see because I don’t think the 118 has been updated...yet. Look at the 602 Jotul as well...if I remember the right model number. It’s also a cigar burn and most sold stove in history....and copied. I may be wrong with the model number on that one. You can cook on either, but may not meet your other wants.
Also, Woodstock Survival Hybrid. Not as pretty as the others but likely a longer burn, might have an ash pan...can’t recall, nice size cook top.

Not sure if Vermont Castings has updated their Aspen model or if Jotul has updated their Black Bear 118 model, but I think these might fit your size better. Front n/s load, time proven (100-150 years) cigar burn. However, you will have to look and see because I don’t think the 118 has been updated...yet. Look at the 602 Jotul as well...if I remember the right model number. It’s also a cigar burn and most sold stove in history....and copied. I may be wrong with the model number on that one. You can cook on either, but may not meet your other wants.
Also, Woodstock Survival Hybrid. Not as pretty as the others but likely a longer burn, might have an ash pan...can’t recall, nice size cook top.

Thank you very much. I had not heard of Woodstock and those look amazing. I will check out the others as well. The T5 is a big stove, I think it is probably way more than we would need.

Pacific Energy vista le?

maybe?

Reactions: moresnow

The aspen has been updated and "improved" by turning it into a single burn rate stove. Why would you prefer a cigar burn stove?

I have thought about that, but in the summer we won't need to heat the house at all and it would be nice to have a regular range for cooking.

I am leaning toward a Pacific Energy Alderlea T5. Any thoughts?
Following this. I too have a small place at 450 sq feet with plans for a small addition. Sadly the Alderlea T4 did not have swing out cook top like the larger models. The T5 just seemed way too much stove for smaller places. I also looked into Jotul V2 and other smaller stoves that had a cook top but they required smaller cut wood (which may not be an issue for you). I have decided on an Osburn 1700, which does not have a proper cook top, but should be suffice to set some cast iron cookware on from time to time. It's not ordered yet, so curious to see what shows up here. :)

The aspen has been updated and "improved" by turning it into a single burn rate stove. Why would you prefer a cigar burn stove?
I would at least like the option of a NS load ( i think that is what you are referring to?) for long cold nights, ease of loading, and not having to worry about wood falling against the glass. I grew up with a stove in Alaska that could be loaded both ways with same size logs, maybe its nostalgia.... Do you dislike this loading option for some reason?

I would at least like the option of a NS load ( i think that is what you are referring to?) for long cold nights, ease of loading, and not having to worry about wood falling against the glass. I grew up with a stove in Alaska that could be loaded both ways with same size logs, maybe its nostalgia.... Do you dislike this loading option for some reason?
No not at all I absolutely prefer north south loading. I was responding to the other poster who suggested a cigar burn stove which is much deeper than it is wide. I simply don't find they burn as well as a more square firebox.

No not at all I absolutely prefer north south loading. I was responding to the other poster who suggested a cigar burn stove which is much deeper than it is wide. I simply don't find they burn as well as a more square firebox.
Oh! Ha. Yeah, well I guess I have never heard of a cigar burn stove... Learning every day.

Following this. I too have a small place at 450 sq feet with plans for a small addition. Sadly the Alderlea T4 did not have swing out cook top like the larger models. The T5 just seemed way too much stove for smaller places. I also looked into Jotul V2 and other smaller stoves that had a cook top but they required smaller cut wood (which may not be an issue for you). I have decided on an Osburn 1700, which does not have a proper cook top, but should be suffice to set some cast iron cookware on from time to time. It's not ordered yet, so curious to see what shows up here. :)
Well, so far I am leaning toward a Woodstock Survival Hybrid. It seems to fit all the things I'd like to have in a stove. Waiting to hear back on some questions I sent them.

Reactions: DakotaCabin