Which stove insert to purchase?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

mfergie

Feb 22, 2021
PA
HI all, I'm sure you all get this question over and over but I'm brand new to this and need to make a decision in the next week or so and I'm overwhelmed with the options. We have a traditional fireplace with liner issues in the house we just purchased. It was recommended to install a stove insert instead of just fixing the liner and I can easily see why after reading a bit and learning the pros. The chimney sweep that did our inspection recommended a Napoleon and I picked the Oakdale EPI3 based on look only. Now that I've started reading and learning, I'm not sure if that is the best option for us.

We have a large open family room/kitchen that is open to the second floor and although initially we intended to use the fireplace more for enjoyment, we are now realizing it would be a huge benefit to offsetting our high HVAC bill so I feel like I need to put more thought into the actual product than just the look. Our chimney guy said he only stocks Napoleons but that we are free to purchase whatever we want and he will install it. So what are the actual top recommended inserts? If you could pick any insert, which would it be?

I realize we might be restricted based on size and I still need to take actual measurements but would like to figure out which brands/models I should be focusing on. Also, are there any features you would consider a must have? For example, I see that the Napoleon S25I has an ash drawer which sounds like it would make things easier for this very busy mom but I don't know if that's just a gimmicky feature to sell it. Please help!

How big a space are you trying to heat? What's the layout? Fireplace size? H, W, Depth, any taper?? Pics and specifics are important to make a good recommendation.

We all love these threads btw. It's always fun picking out new stoves vicariously. Don't be shy!

Last edited:
The Oakdale should get the job done if sized properly for the fireplace and area to be heated.

The features you must have with any insert are a safe installation with a proper, insulated liner and fully seasoned firewood. Other than that, what is important to you? Traditional or contemporary look? Is a flush insert the only option for this location? Do you have other stove dealers in the area?

I got some measurements in inches. Let me know if I should be taking other measurements.
Front opening width: 36
Front opening height: 29
Rear wall width: 24
Depth: 24

The house is 3800 square feet but the areas open to the fireplace are probably 450-500 square feet. I'd love to be able to heat that area nicely and I may add some fans to draw some of the heat into other rooms if the stove is powerful enough. My husband definitely wants a contemporary look. I'm not certain I'm thinking of the right thing when you say flush insert but if I am I don't think it has to be. I original thought that looked nicer but I saw references that they may not be as efficient and efficiency is my bigger concern now. We do have other dealers in the area. There is a Lopi dealer nearby and I know others came up in my search but I haven't looked at what brands they offer yet. I really didn't get past looking at Napoleon and Lopi yet.

Attachments

• fireplace.jpg
    fireplace.jpg
    107.3 KB · Views: 126
Is your mantel wood? Check the distance required from stove top to mantel on any model you consider.

Reactions: mfergie
I would also really highly recommend Regency. We have both a wood stove and a wood insert from them and they are totally amazing. They also make some modern stylish looking options. Excellent engineering, simple operation. Hope this helps.

Reactions: Russn77 and mfergie
I would also really highly recommend Regency. We have both a wood stove and a wood insert from them and they are totally amazing. They also make some modern stylish looking options. Excellent engineering, simple operation. Hope this helps.

Thanks! I will look at those now.