Which stove to choose (zero clearance - what do you think of yours?)

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

painful100

Nov 13, 2017
Santa Cruz, Ca
Hey folks. I am trying to decide between these stoves. Anyone have any feedback on these models? We want a large stove. One is a catalytic. We are hoping for something that can last 8+ hours so we can get it going easy in the morning. Tell me how you like yours!

- Montecito Estate
- kozy heat Z42
- Opel Keystone (catalytic)

Thanks

I have researched ZC's for my parents and brother out of those 3 I would lean towards the Kozy Heat but if I were buying an new ZC it would be a Pacific Energy FP 30 hands down. The PE north south loads, uses regular firebricks, great air wash system, 8-9 hour burn times.

There are a lot of incredible options out there, some of which I didn't realize. I have an Opel 3C that I am heating roughly 2900 square feet with. This unit is incredibly well built, very good looking and built by a company that really knows these high efficiency fireplaces. I have no trouble with having a hot coal bed after 8+ hours (sometimes 12 although its not putting out much if any heat at that point), but it has taken some learning. The single door provides a great view of the fire. That being said, living in Iowa can get cold and I would say for my house I am pushing it to the limits when the temps drop below 0. As far as looks and quality, the keystone would be my choice. I would not hesitate to recommend RSF (I just bought a 10 year old Delta 2 for my shop, overkill but a bargain). There are some others that are worth considering as well. The valcourt is made by SBI international and the make really great products (another Canadian company). The pacific Energy FP30 is also very highly regarded as mentioned above. Good luck in the search.

I have researched ZC's for my parents and brother out of those 3 I would lean towards the Kozy Heat but if I were buying an new ZC it would be a Pacific Energy FP 30 hands down. The PE north south loads, uses regular firebricks, great air wash system, 8-9 hour burn times.
I will 2nd this recommendation. We have the Kozy Heat Z42 and really like it but our first choice was the PE FP-30. We had some constraints with an offset chimney pipe to connect to which prevented its use. If you look at the PE’s BTU estimates it will put out more heat than the Z42. The FP-30 may have put out too much heat for our needs. I will say we do have coals in the morning to start a fire with in the z42 so it’s a good heater and made with quality parts.

Best thing to do is have someone from a reputable fireplace store out to your house to give you their opinion I would say. There are a few variables in the manufacturers installation requirements between these different units which might prevent one from working in your exact space.

Good luck!

Thanks I haven’t heard of the pe fp30 yet and now it’s a contender. Im building a house, so figure I can go with anything at this point. In California though so that may limit me. Open to any other suggestions. Again I’d really like long burn times even more than the highest heat output. Thanks, this has been helpful

We purchased a Kozy Heat Z42CD this spring and had it installed in July. I can tell you that it is working great for our 2600 sq ft home here in south central Indiana and was a perfect replacement for our old builder grade fireplace. I have no problems with having enough coals for morning restarts and I haven't even loaded it completely full yet. If the firewood is cut 16" you can load N/S in it also. I had planned on using it to supplement our geothermal system, but it's so easy to use that I find myself running it 24/7 and when it's not running I wish it was!

I would consider a pacific energy fp. I wanted the fp30 as well but was to big for our 1900sqft bungalow. We went with the fp25 and it heats the house up great. I load it up at 930 and at 430 when I get up for work there is alot of coals .

20191011_135643.jpg IMG_0333.jpg

Reactions: Rachy and mcdougy
One (possibly pedantic, but sometimes important) remark: a stove is very different from a zero clearance fireplace.

A stove is a free standing piece. An insert is a stove made suitable for insertion in a (proper) masonry fireplace. A zero clearance fireplace can be put in even if you don't have a masonry fireplace (hence zero clearance).

It can be confusing initially (it was to me), but there are large differences between these in requirements.

Is the fan very loud? And is there multiple fan settings - low/high? Thanks for the response
The fan is variable speed.....our is on a 3 setting switch and often run in the middle setting.....it is pretty darn quiet on this setting. (think a good quiet bathroom fan)....When put on the highest speed it is very noticeable that the fan is running full blast.(think a good size range hood) we seldom ever need to run it on the high setting.
We put in the fp30 and are very happy with the heating g capabilities in our new build home.
We also added the remote heat duct kit which is/was available directly from pacific energy. It works well to help heat our basement and relief from overheating our main floor (where the stove is located)......this fan is much louder than the fan under the firebox. I would consider using a aftermarket quieter fan than the offered directly from the manufacturer. IIRC KC2004 has high regards for the fan he installed.
For reference our fp30 is heating 3160 sqft main floor and 3160 basement on the coldest windy winter days.

IMG-20201205-WA0004.jpeg

Reactions: NickW
Congratulations. That is a very well insulated and sealed house and a nice FP30 install. Is the fireplace in the basement or main floor. If main floor is the basement heated by remote takeoff from the fireplace?

PS: Cute pups too.

It's a main floor install.....I'm thankfull for the cathedral ceiling and large stove room. The 3' of ceramic tile in front of the hearth is also a nice piece of mind. With a 5' ceiling fan and a open centre staircase to the basement I'm amazed at how even the temperatures are throughout the entire house. Here's this year's Christmas tree as the last pic was from last year.
20211221_214307.jpg

It's a main floor install.....I'm thankfull for the cathedral ceiling and large stove room. The 3' of ceramic tile in front of the hearth is also a nice piece of mind. With a 5' ceiling fan and a open centre staircase to the basement I'm amazed at how even the temperatures are throughout the entire house. Here's this year's Christmas tree as the last pic was from last year.View attachment 288235
Thanks for the info. I think I’m gonna go with this unit. How much extra was the remote heat duct kit? Thinking of adding this to heat the basement

Thanks for the info. I think I’m gonna go with this unit. How much extra was the remote heat duct kit? Thinking of adding this to heat the basement
In 2017 when we purchased the fireplace it was just under $600 for the remote heat kit.....as mentioned you could possibly find a quieter "inline" fan and add the kit yourself vs the 'boot" fan offered from the manufacturer. The fireplace itself was just over $3800 4years ago, adding the pipe and Install cost brought the purchase price to $6600. plus taxes.

Reactions: painful100