which stoves come equipped with a thermostat like device?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ericj

Hearth Supporter
Oct 9, 2010
Iowa
Reading a recent post, I think one of the moderators mentioned that some stoves have a thermostat of sorts that controls the airflow to give a desired amount of heat. Am I understanding this correctly? What are a few stoves that come equipped with such a thing? Thanks!

A lot of pellet stoves do (but by varying the pellet feed rate). Wood stoves? Dunno...

Blaze King, Sierra R65 & R77E and some VC stove models have them. I think the Ashley (US Stove) Wonderwood cabinet stove does also. The Quad ACC is not a thermostatic regulator.

Had one one my VC Aspen. I could have lived without it. Stove was half in firebox and the bi-metallic spring linked by a small chain to the damper plate. The firebox would warm up and end up prematurely closing the damper down. Better used for free-standing outside the hearth application. Live and learn and oh yeah, read up on hearth.com.

How does the thermostat work? Does a piece of metal warm and lengthen? Also, how well do the thermostats work? I mean, has anyone heard feedback from others. Thank you.

I think its just a coil that expands and contracts, everyone with a BK has one and none of us have any complaints, it works great on my stove. It really is just a simple device.

weatherguy said:
I think its just a coil that expands and contracts, everyone with a BK has one and none of us have any complaints, it works great on my stove. It really is just a simple device.

Excuse the ignorant question, but what exactly is the effect of the thermostat? What benefit do you see compared to no thermostat?

weatherguy said:

There were some complaints where a few guys here thought their stats were backwards and ended up replacing or fixing them. Still I think it's a great wood stove feature.

There were some complaints where a few guys here thought their stats were backwards and ended up replacing or fixing them. Still I think it’s a great wood stove feature.

Yeah, that thread got bumped a couple weeks ago, fortunately mines ok.

I guess the advantage is even heat, I set mine at 2 and my temp stays in the same exact spot for hours, maybe it helps with the long burn times of the Bk too, someone with more knowledge can probably give you a better answer than me.

ericj said:
Excuse the ignorant question, but what exactly is the effect of the thermostat? What benefit do you see compared to no thermostat?

You set the thermostat and the stove manages the rest. I look at the forecast, select the right wood for the amount of heat I need, set the thermostat and I am done for 24 hours. I load the stove all the way up every time knowing that I am going to get a very predictable 24 hour burn cycle without any monitoring. It also means that if any member of the family is uncomfortable, they can simply adjust the thermostat and walk away. It is a very different experience than our last stove.

ericj said:

A stove without the t'stat requires you to manually adjust the air intake periodically throughout the day/night in order to keep the temperature where you want it.

A stove with a functional t'stat allows you to dial the t'stat to your desired setting, and it will automatically control the air intake for you...kind of a "set it and forget it" sort of thing

We had an 80s vintage VC Encore cat that had a thermostat. Previous to that we had a Wonderwood "box" stove that had a thermostat. The thermostats worked well on both stoves.

You can think of these "thermostat-like" controls as "draft-compensators".

The draft in a chimney is a passive thing - that is, the draft is produced without any external power being applied. The issue with draft being passive is that it also changes as the temperature of the gasses going up the chimney changes. So, as the fire produces heat, the draft increases. This increased draft feeds more air to the fire which produces more heat and still more draft. So you need a method for stabilizing this. Either you do it (yea right!), or you have a mechanism which does it for you. Most stoves leave it up to you.

I like to think of it as cruise control. Set the stat for desired stove top temp and it will do everything you could have done manually to maintain that temp.

Of course, the stat does the most good on stoves that hold lots of wood with long burn times but every stove can benefit. The BK unit doesn't appear to be very expensive to make.

Status
Not open for further replies.