Which surge protector?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

RedNeck Wrangler

Jun 6, 2008
"The Alton Bog" Maine
I need a surge protector for my stove. I will be using a generator during power outages. I don't need anything with battery backup. So what surge protector do you recommend?

Get one with 600+ joules.
I use the Belkin home series F9H-100cw. Only a single 3 wire plug in available but it`s rated at 1875 watts , can absorb 885 joules , all 3 legs are MOV (Metal Oxide Varister) protected, and has a cold clamping voltage of 335v @ 1 nanosecond.
This should be more than suitable for amost any pellet stove , home computer , or other sensitive electronics under most conditions. It also comes with a $50,000 equipment connected warranty.
Get one for other devices too such as garage door openers, TV sets ,etc.
The cost is only $6 each on Amazon.com.
John

I have noticed that the UPS back-ups, which give you a few mins. to make a switch over to generator, are mostly rated at low joules around 365 for a APC BACK-UPS ES 8 OUTLET 350VA 120V. According to the above post it does not appear to be recommended. (Correct me if I'm wrong please). Is is possible to use the F9H-100cw in the APC back up to get the protection you are recommending? or Which battery back-up/surge protector would you recommend if any?

Oh and walmart has the F9H-100cw $6.77 each.

The level of surge protection is usually proportional to what you spend and rarely with any degree of certainty either. More is better but like everything else cost becomes a major factor to consider.
However it appears that I have for years now eliminated the nuisance surges I have previously experienced that have burned out the control boards in my garage door openers and other sensitive electronic appliances in my home since I have utilized these small single device surge suppressors alone. Of course your mileage may vary.
Here`s a nice site that explains nicely what we all should know about surges, joules, and other related points of interest.

John

http://www.feckalona.com/surge.html

Status
Not open for further replies.