which type of sealant is a better choice silcone or roofing cement?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

RIDGERUNNER30

Hearth Supporter
Feb 7, 2009
Eastern, Kentucky
soon as this weather breaks , I will be ready to cut out the roof and install the chimmey, I have a metal roof and had to order a rubber boot kit to install this chimmey system the instructions state to use a silcone sealant under the edges of the boot to give it a waterproof seal. my question is would roofing cement or (aka) black jack be better to seal the boot with or silcone? which one would last the longest they sell black jack in tube form to be use in clauking gun.

I personally have had very limited satisfaction from using roofing cement when attempting to bond rubber to anything. My recommendation would be to use a high quality silicone for the application you are describing. Others may get better mileage.

I would use high temp. rtv over black jack on a metal roof. The only time I ever use black jack is to reseal shingles after a repair!

Roofing cement is going to dry out. Silicone will remain flexible Metal moves around a lot.

Definitely use the silicone or a urethane in that application. The blackjack could deteriorate the rubber gasket. Make sure the silicone is an exterior grade product there are a lot of different ones now.

Like Smoky said, I think stuff like Blackjack is not recommended on rubber, as it dissolves it. I have had good luck with the GE 100% silicone for sealing the seams and pipe joints of my metal chimney.

Agree with Smokey, silicone or PU. One downside to silicone is nothing sticks to it if it ever needs repairing. I tend to favor PU caulks for that reason. The PL brand at home depot is excellent stuff.

On A rubber boot to a metal roof,I would use polyurathane caulk. Sika-Flex works best and is availible at masonary supply houses. Quad Caulk is good too,availible at roofing supply houses. Avoid Lowes and Depot.

I'd consider urethane as I think it has advantages over silicone. I wouldn't even consider using the tar-based stuff.

Status
Not open for further replies.