White Insulation Blanket on Jotul F500

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Simonkenton

Minister of Fire
Feb 27, 2014
Marshall NC
Storing the stove in the basement for several weeks, the rats got in and chewed up that white insulation blanket on the top inside of the firebox. They also used the shredded mineral wool for a bathroom, what a stinking mess! Spent a half hour cleaning out the shredded mineral wool and the rat crap.

I got the stove hooked up yesterday. What would the effect be if you burn the stove without that blanket?

Hotter top. You won't kill it without the blanket as long as you keep an eye on temps, but it should be there. They're not cheap ($30 maybe?) . Someone on here found it sold generically somewhere for short change, cut to fit...

Also less complete combustion. The blanket helps keep the fire hotter in the firebox.

Storing the stove in the basement for several weeks, the rats got in and chewed up that white insulation blanket on the top inside of the firebox. They also used the shredded mineral wool for a bathroom, what a stinking mess! Spent a half hour cleaning out the shredded mineral wool and the rat crap.

I got the stove hooked up yesterday. What would the effect be if you burn the stove without that blanket?

I just replaced mine I found it at this place for a good price.

http://www.bigceramicstore.com/superwool-fiber-blanket-8-1-thick-2-feet-wide-linear-foot-2sq-ft.html

Thank you mojaveron. I ordered one from the local wood stove store but it hasn't gotten in yet and I want to burn my stove. If that falls through I will use that link to buy one.

Status
Not open for further replies.