White Oak?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Apr 27, 2015
Delaware
I think it is but it shreds an awful lot like gum. Maybe because it's wet?

Attachments

• IMG_6440.JPG
    IMG_6440.JPG
    277.3 KB · Views: 317
  • IMG_6441.JPG
    IMG_6441.JPG
    264.1 KB · Views: 330
  • IMG_6442.JPG
    IMG_6442.JPG
    160.2 KB · Views: 309
I find that white oak shreds more than red but the grain in the last picture doesn't look like oak to me. Did you notice a smell? That's usually the giveaway with oak...white oak smells, uh, oaky. :)

Reactions: D8Chumley
I find that white oak shreds more than red but the grain in the last picture doesn't look like oak to me. Did you notice a smell? That's usually the giveaway with oak...white oak smells, uh, oaky. :)
Not a very nice smell not like red Oak

The bark says white oak.

Not a very nice smell not like red Oak
Both red & white oak have what I consider very pleasant smells--red is like fermented fruit and white is more like vanilla. If yours has a barnyard smell then it could be something like hickory.

Bark looks white oakish. The bottom round in the first picture also resembles iron wood. The little iron wood I've had also had that dark center IIRC.

I think it's white oak but just doesn't seem right. Tearing apart, not real heavy... the farmer asked me to take it down so it was live. I'm used to standing dead and downed trees maybe that's why it seems so different. When I was splitting it water was pooling up as the splitter head was pushing into it.

I just wrapped up cutting and splitting and stacking 9 cord of white oak....none of it looked like the inside of what you are showing.

Reactions: TedyOH
Like I said... something's not right... even though the bark looks oakish... puzzled

looks like silver maple

Like I said... something's not right... even though the bark looks oakish... puzzled
I took some pics...will try to get them up shortly...phone is currently updating.

Reactions: Wood Collector
I thought about silver but it not the same as what I have here at the house

Any chance its a young shag bark hickory?
Haven't seen a shagbark in any of the woods around this area. Ive hunted them for over 20 years know the area quit well. But a good thought though!

Haven't seen a shagbark in any of the woods around this area. Ive hunted them for over 20 years know the area quit well. But a good thought though!
It is heart colored like a hickory...

Well it's split and stacked... it won't go to waste I'll just monitor it with the moisture meter and burn it after it hits 20%...

Could it be a poplar of some kind, since it is not real heavy even though it is wet?

Could it be a poplar of some kind, since it is not real heavy even though it is wet?
Hmmm there is a bunch of poplar in these woods... Bark seems to scaly to me but what the hell do I know... I thought I was a little better at tree I. D. untill these last (2) tree posts... I'm gonna try and stick with my primary beech and cherry unless the farmer puts in another request..,

definitely not white oak!

Reactions: TedyOH
Pics...
IMG_2530.jpg
IMG_2531.jpg

Reactions: D8Chumley
Defiantly not what I have! Lol... thank you for following thru with the pics...

Defiantly not what I have! Lol... thank you for following thru with the pics...
This all came from a 3year old logging operation and I pulled the tarp back on the other side and looked it all over pretty good...it was all solid white to the core.