White Pine

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

thewoodlands

Minister of Fire
Hearth Supporter
Aug 25, 2009
In The Woods
This was in the area we are putting in the fireplace, the base of the White Pine was starting to rot so we took it down. We have other White Pine in this area so I decided we would use the cable and winch along with some tree savers just to be safe, turned out it really was OVERKILL. ==c

I saved on one eight foot log & one seven foot log for milling once it cools off, the rest will become firewood.

Pic 5624 is the White Pine, 5625 is the anchor point, the wife was in the rhino well out harms way.

I took two loads of branches to the town wood dump then setup the chipper for some work tomorrow.

zap

Attachments

• 100_5624.JPG
    100_5624.JPG
    99.5 KB · Views: 148
  • 100_5625.JPG
    100_5625.JPG
    77.5 KB · Views: 151
  • 100_5626.JPG
    100_5626.JPG
    101.5 KB · Views: 164
  • 100_5627.JPG
    100_5627.JPG
    105.1 KB · Views: 169
  • 100_5628.JPG
    100_5628.JPG
    89.1 KB · Views: 159
  • 100_5629.JPG
    100_5629.JPG
    108.9 KB · Views: 159
  • 100_5630.JPG
    100_5630.JPG
    86.5 KB · Views: 152
I agree on the branches PapaDave. The fireplace in the winter time will see lots of action with pine branches, most of todays branches I could have chipped up but I was going to recycle with the garbage so I hauled them away.

zap

I like to use the branches for making deer blinds. Yes, there is always an overabundance.

Looks like a successful afternoon! I should have taken a chair to the woods today also! It was so muggy and humid that I was soaked looked like I took a shower within an hour of starting to cut today.

certified106, the pine is right behind the house so the chair was real close, I used it so I could get the treesaver up higher on the tree. The real saver was I was working in the shade, we had a nice breeze but the radio shack special hit 96 today.

I would like to chip up the smaller stuff and split the rounds tomorrow but you never can tell when it will rain.

zap

Looks like a successful afternoon! I should have taken a chair to the woods today also! It was so muggy and humid that I was soaked looked like I took a shower within an hour of starting to cut today.
I chipped up four loads of the pine I limbed up on the new trail along with the pine from this tree we took down Saturday. The chips will be used in the new stacking area so I can level it off.

Looks like we have about 7-9 smaller trees that are real thin that need to come down then we can start on the fireplace. Depending on the weather I would like the pine split by the weekend.

I found these bugs on the White Pine.

zap

Attachments

• 100_5635.JPG
    100_5635.JPG
    95.6 KB · Views: 152
  • 100_5636.JPG
    100_5636.JPG
    104.5 KB · Views: 138
  • 100_5642.JPG
    100_5642.JPG
    94.2 KB · Views: 136
  • 100_5657.JPG
    100_5657.JPG
    93.9 KB · Views: 138
  • 100_5658.JPG
    100_5658.JPG
    68.2 KB · Views: 152
Reactions: Backwoods Savage
A tree saver for the tree your citting down? And those bugs just look like stink bugs but i cant really tell?

I love the sound of a tall white pine hitting the ground!!!! I don't know what kind of bug that is Zap. I had to cut up a bunch of saw logs I had sitting out too long. For fire wood as they got a lot of boring bugs in it. But those were like a inch and half long black and had long attannas on them.

Billy

A tree saver for the tree your citting down? And those bugs just look like stink bugs but i cant really tell?

Treesaver for the anchor point, cable around the tree would cut the bark, hence the word treesaver.

zap

Ugly looking beetles. Are them harming the pines?
Yes tfdchief, something is doing a job on them. I have a chit load of thinning of some tall thin White Pines, hopefully we will get regrow.

zap

I'd forgot how brush free woods look back east. Under the canopy not many weeds & brush.
Maybe it's the long daylight , but seeing thru the woods here in the summer is next to impossible.
Nice looking woods Zap.

Thanks Bogydave. Plenty of thinning out left, the tall thin Sugar Maple come next after the fireplace is done. We always wanted a good size trail in the area around the house, by next September we should see a big difference in the way our property looks, it will also allow for regrow of some healthier trees.

Zap

Treesaver for the anchor point, cable around the tree would cut the bark, hence the word treesaver.

zap
But i think that is the tree that is getting cut down. Maybe im wrong but i thought he said the first pic is of the tree being felled and it has a saver on it (yep im right i went and looked). So why SAVE the bark on a tree your cutting down. Even if your cutting it into boards like he said he is its not going to cut past the side slabs that have to be cut off?

I moved the chips to the new stacking area, then I decided why not split the pine rounds. Looks like I'll be stacking before the weekend, pine on the bottom then start bringing the hemlock from up top.

zap

Attachments

• 100_5659.JPG
    100_5659.JPG
    111.5 KB · Views: 115
  • 100_5660.JPG
    100_5660.JPG
    63.1 KB · Views: 136
Reactions: ScotO
Reactions: zap
Thats what you call them, i would of not thought to use one on a cut tree. I guess i would of just wrapped the cable around it. Maybe you were worried of crimping the cable when you hooked it onto itself?

I chipped up four loads of the pine I limbed up on the new trail along with the pine from this tree we took down Saturday. The chips will be used in the new stacking area so I can level it off.

Looks like we have about 7-9 smaller trees that are real thin that need to come down then we can start on the fireplace. Depending on the weather I would like the pine split by the weekend.

I found these bugs on the White Pine.

zap
those beetles sure look like a specie of pine borer.....

http://www.bing.com/images/search?q=pine+borer+bug&qpvt=pine+borer+bug&FORM=IGRE

Reactions: zap
Stacked the pine I split the other day, looks like I'll start hauling the hemlock off the hill so I can stack that in this area starting tomorrow.

zap

Attachments

• 100_5667.JPG
    100_5667.JPG
    108.8 KB · Views: 123
Im no white pine expert, but on Southern Yellow pines. No insect like that will enter a healty tree and or kill it. Our Borers are secondary pests and move in on dead trees. I was thinking that it looked like one myself of some sort. But again i am really not up on all the bug species and definitly dont know anything about life cycles and pests that infect white pines. The few that we have in this state are native in the moutains and im not a forester in those areas with them, and if i was there are so few of them that death is nothing more than a nusiance to those with specimen or "yard" trees.

I started bringing the Hemlock down from up top tonight, stacked both loads with the White Pine, The last picture is some White Pine that split like chit, it will go on top of the stack.

Two more racks like this and it's off cutting hardwood.
zap

Attachments

• 100_5668.JPG
    100_5668.JPG
    82.3 KB · Views: 148
  • 100_5670.JPG
    100_5670.JPG
    85.2 KB · Views: 125
  • 100_5672.JPG
    100_5672.JPG
    112.1 KB · Views: 118
  • 100_5673.JPG
    100_5673.JPG
    96.1 KB · Views: 116
Reactions: certified106
Looking good.....I love me some pine during fall and spring burning!

Status
Not open for further replies.