white worms in firewood

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

MomaBear

Mar 11, 2015
Ky
I have been burning firewood since 2006 & kept seeing white worms when splitting with log splitter.I tried getting all of them out as I seen them which made the job even harder.I always find dead woods that are dry, and cut & split them in the summer. I do have a wood shed wood is stacked to let air flow Just this past year while spring cleaning I kept finding little tiny worms in dresser drawers and under the couch & in the return vent for heating system and in the closets.At first I thought it was clothes moths so I washed everything in a 2 story 4 bedroom house.& bagged all clothes.Things even went in freezer hopping to kill them in things I couldn't wash.I have old antique stuff from all my family that couldn't be washed.
Shewww, what a job,spraying all the bedding(did not find any in the bed) and furniture mopping for days on end only to find more little bugs under the couch.I'm at my witts end with these little small worm that turn into little black flying bugs with white spots on their wings they dance around and if you touch them they play dead of all things.I only found one large black bug in all the cleaning. I keep a tote with a lead on the wood inside only removing to add wood to fireplace.The bugs do not eat holes in my clothing they only gather dust & stuff that looks like cotton. and they make a cocoon of some type. I do open windows with screen on them could they have gotten in a window & not firewood??
Any Ideas of what they could be??
I love my house, it was built by my dad in 1932 on our farm..Yet I can't keep up with these bugs I'm ready to run away from home..lol & let them have it..
Tkx for any replys!

That sounds horrible.

I'd like to see a picture of these critters.

Doyourownpestcontrol.com

Call the 1800 number......

Buy a sprayer and the chemical that they suggest, you bugs will be gone....

Reactions: MomaBear
That sounds horrible.

Yeah, I'd like to see pics too. Where do you typically find them? Just under the couch? You might try sprinkling diatomaceous earth wherever you find them. Just an idea.

We get small moths coming off the wood when we bring it inside. Sometimes even a mosquito woken from deep sleep. We hang some sticky paper in the area and that seems to work best if you want to avoid poisons.

Are you suggesting the worms in the house are connected to the worms in the house? I doubt they would be, but the worms in the house sound awful.

Clothes moths would be my worse fear. The cocooning could be coddling moths or wool moths. And you did all that you can for them.
The black bugs with white spots could be Asian long horned beetles. They wont hang around long but you may want to notify a county or state agency.
The "worms" are beetle larvae and they usually only bother live trees.
Your only concerns should be ants, termites, powder post beetles and your wool moths.
Tree bugs really only eat trees. Or they spend their larvae stage eating trees.
Leave your wood outside until you use it if they wig you out.
And remember pesticides are way more dangerous than the bugs.
Try what I swear by...a valium mocha latte.
Also you could contact an exterminator, they arent that expensive. They might do a free estimate. At least you can find out what is a possible problem.

That sounds horrible.

I will get pic soon. Can I post them here?.I'm new to this site & not sure what you can do here.I can't be home today hubbys had cancer an many doctor visits most days it's 2 doc's in one day.3 times a week..That puts my bug patrol on hold a few days a week.

Are you suggesting the worms in the house are connected to the worms in the house? I doubt they would be, but the worms in the house sound awful.
I'm not sure somedays I think they came in in the firewood other days not so sure.Then theres the spiders I'm sure they come with the wood.I do have 2 boxelder trees at my bedroom window where I open the screened in window on nice days.I have seen the larger bugs I call boxelder bugs with orange on their face.I have found a few that get in maybe on our clothes, they are much bigger but they don't hide.Then there's the red/orange beetle's that get in my upstairs..I think a lot of people here t least dread the beetles in the fall of the year.

Clothes moths would be my worse fear. The cocooning could be coddling moths or wool moths. And you did all that you can for them.
The black bugs with white spots could be Asian long horned beetles. They wont hang around long but you may want to notify a county or state agency.
The "worms" are beetle larvae and they usually only bother live trees.
Your only concerns should be ants, termites, powder post beetles and your wool moths.
Tree bugs really only eat trees. Or they spend their larvae stage eating trees.
Leave your wood outside until you use it if they wig you out.
And remember pesticides are way more dangerous than the bugs.
Try what I swear by...a valium mocha latte.
Also you could contact an exterminator, they arent that expensive. They might do a free estimate. At least you can find out what is a possible problem.
Morning Applesister!
You have the best Ideas!!!Ever! I'll have one of you valium mocha latte's!lol !! I've worked none stop since I found then I had painted all the upstairs moving down the steps to find then in the vents.I mean lots.I found them in the bathroom in my towels now I only leave 6 out at a time.This could be a full time job! I have googled & I too though it is the Asian long horned beetles.Maybe??I'm so sick of bugs.The last 2 years I've had yellow jackets get in behind the window facings outside.. I just want my life back!!Tkx for the reply!

I'm not sure as the ones I find in the house are very small & brown in the worm stage then black after the cocoon turn black with white spots on wings. They love to dance around then fall over on their back to play dead. I just thought they had to have come from the wood in the tote. After nearly killing myself cleaning they are only in the couch & yes I tore the bottom on the pretty new couch off to spray..I worry they will be back in full force when the weather warms up.Almost every day while looking for things to wear I'm searching..I think I'm addicted to the hunt now..lol I've worked until I have to cry a while...
Tkx for the reply!

Take a picture and then just drag the picture into the text box where you type, and you should be good to go.

Project3.png

Take a picture and then just drag the picture into the text box where you type, and you should be good to go.
This is what I found this morning after sweeping all hardwood floors these were under the couch.. .they were dead.They always find the stuff in the second pic to make whatever it is they make..Sure hope u know what they are..:)
Tkx pen!

They look more like ladybugs than white worms. Must be my old eyes.:confused:

dang, was hoping the pics would be something I've seen. From what I can see there, I'm clueless. That's crazy.

Applesister, what is this Valium mocha latte you speak of? This might be something Mrs Chumley could benefit from :)

dang, was hoping the pics would be something I've seen. From what I can see there, I'm clueless. That's crazy.
I know it's not the end of these dang bugs.I will surely find more & when I do I will post better pic of living bugs.
I know they do remind me of ladybugs.
As for the white worm thing, I just thought it maybe that they were laying eggs & the smaller worms were the beginning of their life stage.
Meanwhile I will continue to clean & spray.
I'm gonna win this battle!!!!!
At one point I found a lot on the rocks around the fire insert.
I've cleaned so much I now have tennis elbow had 2 injections in the left elbow and still having pain..

That could be my problem also!They change so much to me..Small ones, medium ones, flying ones, crawling ones..
I think you are dealing with more than one type of bug. I would try a vacuum to clean them up. We do that with anything except the ones that fly. Much easier on your elbow.

I think you are dealing with more than one type of bug. I would try a vacuum to clean them up. We do that with anything except the ones that fly. Much easier on your elbow.
Been there already it does help at first but when they are in your clothes then it all hand work..
I must have ocd I cant stop looking..

That's a heck of a life cycle, but sounds like a good match to what you have. Did you find any suggestion on destroying them that are different than what you've been doing?

Status
Not open for further replies.