Whitfield Advantage 3 questions

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

target30

Sep 17, 2014
Milford, NH
Hi all,

I purchased my pellet stove used a couple years ago. it has been working pretty well and i am happy with it, howver this year i have decided to replace the gaskets on the door and glass as they leaked a bit last year and they were a little crusty in places. i have a couple quick questions.

1. everywhere i look it says 1/2" rope for the door. the gasket that was on there is much bigger. when i pulled it off, there was silicon inside the groove also. i scraped it all out, but the 1/2" only fills the groove and doesnt seal. should i just get the same size that was on it before? from pictures i have seen, it is a larger rope, possibly 3/4" or so.

2. from online it says 5/8" x 1x8" for the glass gasket, i got that and it is wider than what i had. thinking of finding 3x8" x 1x8, which is what it looks like. or should i stretch the 5x8" tight when i put it on, that will make it so it doesnt show.

3. from the pictures i have see of the air vents inside the ash trap, mine looks a bit different. there are 2 directly in the middle, one pipe on the left that sticks out about an inch, and 1 hole just to the right of it. now the pictures i have seen, they are both open. the pipe one that sticks out a bit on mine has a cap on it.

i dont have a picture of mine right now, but if you look at this one, it is identical. except there is a cap on the pipe vent on mine, not open like this.

http://www.butkus.org/whitfield_operate/whitfield_cleaning/cleaning0003.jpg

anyone know why this would be? the stove has worked fine, as far as i know, with it capped like that.

btw, this is the model i have, with the one piece glass.

http://woodheatstoves.com/images/Whitfield Advantage 3Tfs.jpg

thanks!

the pipe with the cap on it is for a igniter, the other is the outside air coming in, i'd use 5/8" door gasket 1/2 is too small.

the pipe with the cap on it is for a igniter, the other is the outside air coming in, i'd use 5/8" door gasket 1/2 is too small.
Thank you for the info. I picked up some 5/8 and the glue is setting now. Cleaned everything. Replaced all the gaskets. Now I think I'm ready! One last question. I looked at the back of the stove and the cold air intake portion where it come in has a half dollar size hole just inside the back. Is there supposed to be a plug on that or does it also pull air in through it also?

Well. I lit it up for the first time tonight. Absolutely amazing. End of last year it was a half hour fight with the flame going out and filling up with smoke. Then opening the door to re light and filling the house with smoke. Once it got going it was fine though.

Tonight, 2 min. Lit pellets, closed the door and turned on the stove. No smoke, no frustration. Only "issue", not that it is an issue at the moment, is that the damper is all the way closed, opening it up burns the pellets too fast. Closed it is perfect. 40 outside, stove on 1 just to make sure all is good. 71 in the back of the house furthest from the stove.

closed gives me a lazy flame, yea the air intake hole is weird, my stoves have it open, bought mine new and never saw a plug, I always wondered if you used a outside air that hole would defeat the purpose, maybe it's there only to draw some outside air in?

Not a true OAK system. Quadrafire Santa Fe also has the air coming around the ash bin.

Status
Not open for further replies.