Whitfield Advantage II Insert Auger Working but feeding very sporadically, won’t stay lit

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Maverick

Jan 28, 2018
Rapid City, SD
Hello. We recently purchased a home which has a Whitfield Advantage II insert pellet stove. We have been using it for about a month with no issues. Yesterday it was not able to add enough fuel to keep a fire going. Even on heat output 5. I gave it a good cleaning to no avail. I emptied the entire hopper so I could watch the auger work. Seems to be working fine. The auger light comes in and only sporadically does it deliver fuel. So I know the auger is working but it doesn’t deliver fuel every time it rotates. Because of this, it won’t deliver enough fuel to keep up with the fire. It’s very confusing to me that the auger would spin but won’t deliver fuel every time. Would this be an issue with the fuel we’re using or is there some other possibility? Thank you in advance for your help. Needless to say, it’s super frustrating.

Have u recently changed pellets? From what I have been told some brands are not consistent, longer pellets causing somewhat of a gap untill they fall into the auger or get broke by auger and are able to fall in

Sent from my SM-G903W using Tapatalk

Have u recently changed pellets? From what I have been told some brands are not consistent, longer pellets causing somewhat of a gap untill they fall into the auger or get broke by auger and are able to fall in

I haven’t been keeping track of the pellet brand that we’re using. Basically buy 4 or 5 bags when we need them and get them from various stores so it definitely could be the fuel. Also, I noticed that regardless of the heat output setting I have it on, the auger spins at 12 second intervals. Does it for setting 1 and does it for setting 5. Could this indicate an issue with the heat output switch?

I would bet it's a pellet issue... test some brands find one that works well and gives good heat and stick with it. As far as feed rate this is just a guess. It feeds every 12 seconds but does it make 1 rotation or more depending on heat setting?

Also, I noticed that regardless of the heat output setting I have it on, the auger spins at 12 second intervals. Does it for setting 1 and does it for setting 5

The auger feed rate should change with different settings. Something is not right.

Auger timing chart according to the manual:
Auger timing chart.jpg

If the thermostat jumper is missing or somehow has lost its connections, the stove will be in permanent idle mode = lowest auger feed rate all the time and the controls are inoperative, waiting for a "call for heat" signal from an external thermostat ( or a permanent short from a jumper )

Thermostat jumper on control board:
II-t control panel.jpg

Last edited: