Whitfield Advantage III feeds too many pellets and won't stop feeding

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

exj2

Hearth Supporter
Feb 6, 2008
Northern Virginia
I have a Whitfield Advantage III ( I think, the installer was not sure but the board pic on ebay looks correct) it worked fine for a week and then started feeding pellets every 2 seconds. I was thinking the board tells the auger to send pellets and the auger turns. Anyone else have that problem? I am ready to order a new board but it is not cheap. Any thoughts guys.

I did not make it clear that it overloads on pellets and drowns the fire out. they just keep piling up on one another.

Thanks
Ed

what is the time on and time off
I cant find a time chart for that board but a hand written note on whitfield Control board guide I found show for the #1 setting is
1.4 seconds on and 7 seconds off.

It comes on every second or 2 seconds no matter what setting I have it on. Additionally the 1-5 know is almost impossible to turn. It takes all the strength I have to move it.

exj2 said:
Additionally the 1-5 know is almost impossible to turn. It takes all the strength I have to move it.

???

Bad spelling. The knob is almost impossible to turn. That is the top know that reads heat output. I practically need plyers to turn it. No matter the setting the auger light comes on almost every second or two and piles in the pellets.

Second question about this post. Why does it read Smileys to the left????

Thanks
Ed

Un-plug the stove , remove the control board. Go to Radio Shack and buy a can of contact cleaner. Take the 2 Knobs off (small set screw). Spray the contact cleaner in 1-5 selector switch move back and forth. I would try this before I would buy a new board. It's worth a try. Good luck and let me know if it works. A auto parts store will have it too.

I thought the all the advantage III's had the Push button control board.
shows how much I know.

I have contact cleaner on my work bench. Will try that tomorrow when I get to the farm. do you think that could be the whole problem with the quick feeding of pellets too??

thanks for your efforts. Will let you know how it goes.

Ed

Well I think your problem is in the control board, so I would try this first. It can't hurt.

Status
Not open for further replies.