Whitfield not starting

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Buff56

Dec 8, 2016
Casper Wyoming
I have an older Whitfield, Went to start it up yesterday and nothing would work. One red fan light would come on for about a second then shut off. Unplugged it checked all the wiring. Nothing. Any ideas. Was working fine at the end of last year. Probably another thread out there, just couldn't find it. Thanks for the help

Surge protected? Checked fuse? If the fuse is blowing though, you've likely got something else going. Most stove components can be run off a power cord with the appropriate connectors on the end to test. Always unplug when working in the cabinet!

If it is the board, there are services that will repair... keep us posted.

PS: screen on exhaust vent? Bird, small critters have been known to find their way to the combustion blower and causing problems...

Which model Whitfield ? Age (dial controls ?)

It looks like this one. Push button

I will try and find out more info tonight when I get home.

Thanks for your help.

Attachments

• whitfield.jpg
    whitfield.jpg
    29.8 KB · Views: 180
Is there a fuse or a reset on the stove. Tried to run it directly from the wall outlet. Its weird that nothing starts. Just one single red light, then nothing. Lake Girl, thanks for your response.

There is a smaller fuse on the back bottom. It's an unusual size, available on line but should be able to get in a real good hardware store. Not sure if auto or electrical store would carry one. Not sure if that is blown, anything would go on.
You can remove the two screws in front to swing open the right side and access that panel.

I so recommend a really good surge protector or UPS. Belkin, APC, Tripp Lite or Isobar. By the time you pay for their good one, you can pay a few bucks more for a UPS on sale and get some backup time.

If you are replacing, consider sending out the old board for repair so you have a back-up. Search board repair above and should come up with a few options but heat wave linked above looks like it may be cheapest...

There is a smaller fuse on the back bottom. It's an unusual size, available on line but should be able to get in a real good hardware store. Not sure if auto or electrical store would carry one. Not sure if that is blown, anything would go on.
You can remove the two screws in front to swing open the right side and access that panel.

I so recommend a really good surge protector or UPS. Belkin, APC, Tripp Lite or Isobar. By the time you pay for their good one, you can pay a few bucks more for a UPS on sale and get some backup time.

Thanks for the info. I did order a ups. Good idea, plus I can use it with my aquarium for the back up capabilities. Much appreciated. Scott

Status
Not open for further replies.