Whitfield profile 20 issue

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Water dr

Oct 15, 2017
Mass
i have purchased a used profile 20. When I bought it, I saw it work. It has sat for a year. I got it all hooked up, and auger won't feed. The blowers start, but the auger does not feed. I direct wired the auger, and it works fine. Any thoughts out there? Any advice is appreciated.

Check that ash pan has a tight seal. Often gets overlooked. If all seals are good try bypassing the vacuum switch and see if the auger runs

Check that ash pan has a tight seal. Often gets overlooked. If all seals are good try bypassing the vacuum switch and see if the auger runs
I did by pass the vacuum switch, and nothing. I tried putting those wires on the auger motor & nothing. It has me very confused. It's like something is not allow it to trigger

Also you could check the jumpers to make sure a wire hasn't come loose. I seem to recall having a similar problem on my old Profile 30 a few years ago.

Bypassing the pressure switch with a jumper wire as suggested by corkman would be the first thing to do. If this makes the auger work, next question is: What has stopped the pressure switch from working? A very powerful vacuum cleaner can certainly destroy the rubber diaphragm inside the pressure switch. And so can cleaning with a leaf blower.
It's easy to test a leaking rubber diaphragm: Pull off the silicone rubber hose, where it sits at the small metal barb in the exhaust. Now you blow very gently in the hose. If you don't hear the micro switch clicking ( on the pressure switch housing ) and there's no restriction to the air flow from your mouth, the diaphragm is damaged/leaking.
The pressure switch is a very important safety device. It monitors any dangerous pressure rise in the exhaust caused by air flow restrictions in the venting system ( too much fly ash, leaves, a birds nest etc. ).

I did by pass the vacuum switch, and nothing. I tried putting those wires on the auger motor & nothing. It has me very confused. It's like something is not allow it to trigger

Ok, next step is to measure if the control board sends out the correct auger voltage. On your control board you'll find a test port for the auger voltage under a plastic lid ( see picture below ). Caution: The voltages on the test ports carry mains voltage, so take care!
If auger voltage from control board is ok, then you have two high limit switches in series with auger that could be faulty/open. See diagram.
testporte på Profile 30 kontrol panel'.jpg Wiring diagram.jpg

Last edited: