Whitfield profile 20 issues

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

oneshot37

Dec 28, 2015
port townsend wa
I have had this stove for about 9 years now. It is an early model I got used. No ash fly clean out ports behind the firebrick. Would not keep going until I found out about eye being dirty and cleaned it, no problems since with the eye. The problem is the way the fire burns, up, then down, sometimes so far down, it goes out and shuts off! I read on here about proper cleaning methods, so I got a brush, cleaned out the ports, blew them out with a leaf blower, took both fans off and cleaned them, Cleaned the chimney, tried running it outside without the chimney hooked up, still burns the same!
I was watching the auger feed and sometimes it will go two or three cycles without feeding anything. It did have 1/4" of play at the motor, so I put a bronze washer in to eliminate the play, and get the auger all the way to the top, no change. It does have the nylatron bushing on it. I have timed the auger and the rotation is 1 rpm. I tried increasing the feed rate through the control board but it still burns the same. Is that the way these are designed to burn?
Fire burns nicely when it has fuel. Any ideas I have not tried yet? I appreciate any help. Thanks! Mike

What type of pellets are you using? Longer pellets are more difficult to feed consistently.

Those pellets are doug fir so they should burn nicely and hot. Did you use them before or the problem just start with a change of pellets used? I have had some pellets that will bridge over the auger, Trebios has been my most problematic. The pellets will develop a void just above the auger causing few pellets to be moved. Resolved this by just a stir with a piece of doweling ... you can see the pellets settle in the hopper.

Sounds like you have cleaned the beast well:) Not sure on the rpm for the auger so hopefully a forum member will be able to provide some numbers for you. Have you tried a search using the top right box. Stovensen and Snowy Rivers seem to be the best ones for answers on the Whitfields...

Hey... Welcome to the Forum!

So this morning I turned it on and it started as normal, then the motor started feeding before it normally does, and it would not stop, just kept turning, and not pausing either. I turned it off and re-started it, then it seemed fine? Never done that before. Is that a pre-curser to a new problem?

Update,
Seems to be working fine. Lake girl, you were right on about the pellets. The bag I was using was an older bag and the pellets were really inconsistent in length, some were a couple inches long. I opened a newer bag after I finally got through the last bag, and the newer pellets are very consistent in length, generally shorter than an inch, and it seems to be feeding better. Thanks!

Glad to hear it was just pellets ... Like I said, been there, done that. Panic mode when it would shut down for no apparent reason ... just the oddities of the brand of pellets!

Status
Not open for further replies.