Who else is cutting this weekend?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Rebelduckman

Minister of Fire
Dec 14, 2013
Pulaski, Mississippi
Temps will probably be the best they'll be here until October so I'm taking advantage! Low 80's and low 60's at night. My Neighbor( 1/4 mile down the road. I live in the sticks) has a big standing dead red oak he wants to give me! Can't pass that up!

Last edited:
Reactions: KenLockett
I am planning on getting up early to harvest 2 dead elms I have been looking at for 2 years. Just right now bark falling off and accessible this time of year. I planned on summer cutting for these ones. Need some exercise for me and the saws. Probably won't do much else until fall. Corn fields in the way and heavy brush make it a lot easier to do in fall or winter. Not to mention bugs and sweat.

I'll be splitting ash rounds up to 40 inches. Supposed to be high 80s to low 90s.

I am planning on getting up early to harvest 2 dead elms I have been looking at for 2 years. Just right now bark falling off and accessible this time of year. I planned on summer cutting for these ones. Need some exercise for me and the saws. Probably won't do much else until fall. Corn fields in the way and heavy brush make it a lot easier to do in fall or winter. Not to mention bugs and sweat.

I've got one on my property that just about like that one. Can it be hand splitten without killing me?

I have about a truck load of oak left in the pipe yard which I quartered in the spring. Maybe I will pick it up split and stack. There is a lot of wood laying around my work place I am just not in the mood to get it when it's 90 and humid. I just spend last two months at work flushing hydrants so I am kind of tired being out in the hot.
image.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Too hot here, I've been out working in this heat for the last few weeks also. Planning on a nice ride on the Road King with the wife, relaxing and bbq'ing. Maybe I'll fix that windowsill that's rotting out

Reactions: 7acres
75degrees and low humidity on th 4th here in ohio. at the family farm will be pulling downed logs out of the woods and out into a mowed field for processing. saturday will be at my brother's in geauga county. splitting lots of rounds that were cut to length in feb. and march.

Reactions: NordicSplitter
I got 12 cord split and stacked I'm taking the hot summer off :) Activity will begin in the Fall unless it cools off. I got some miles to put on the scooter!

I came home Tuesday with strep throat. I HATE summer colds.

I have to pass up a oak tree tomorrow because I am sick. My friend wants to take it down and I get some of the wood. He may put it off until I am well. We'll see.

I have another friend that took an oak down and he doesn't have a stove. I'm well enough to pick that one up. I hope to bring home as much as I can. To be honest I would rather fell and buck up the tree at my friend's house. Free firewood is free firewood.

Bob

75degrees and low humidity on th 4th here in ohio. at the family farm will be pulling downed logs out of the woods and out into a mowed field for processing. saturday will be at my brother's in geauga county. splitting lots of rounds that were cut to length in feb. and march.

75? Man must be nice!:)

I might get a dead Red Elm. That would just about finish the row I've got going in my one good, windy spot. I might knock down a couple of nests of those reddish-brown wasps one of these cool mornings. Sure is nice to get a break from the heat and humidity for a few days! But when the heat comes back, so do the SW winds for that stack in the field. :cool:

Reactions: Rebelduckman
I might get a dead Red Elm. That would just about finish the row I've got going in my one good, windy spot. I might knock down a couple of nests of those reddish-brown wasps one of these cool mornings. Sure is nice to get a break from the heat and humidity for a few days! But when the heat comes back, so do the SW winds for that stack in the field. :cool:

My neighbors red oak cutting got put off a week so I went out this morning and found me a dead one. Is this red elm? Is it even elm? Sorry no bark or leaves. Sometimes I think I'm going backward with my tree ID skills. :)

image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I can't chop in the heat. I'll start back up in October.I typically do all my processing from March - May and June for stacking.

I've got about 1/2 a cord of branches/small trees that I will be putting on my saw buck and cutting down to size. In the shade, so not too bad.

Cut a pickup and 5x10 trailer this week, hoping for more.

I'm only cutting this weekend because yet another tree hit the house. Second one in as many years. Fortunately the trunk fell uphill and only a large branch hit the house. Lightening spilt the trunk and left some nice scorch marks. Was looking out the window right at it when it happened.

Reactions: Fred Wright
At least this one is oak. Last one was willow

y5u5ebyr.jpg

ry6abyte.jpg

8yhysu4y.jpg

Decent day out. Got a bit warm but the wind kept the bugs at bay. Still need to get the stump down...had a back and side lean that wasn't obvious and I could find my wedges. Another day.

Yeah but not by choice. A freak windstorm came through early Thursday morning and blew the top out of a big red maple in the yard. One limb landed on the house, another on the garage roof. One crashed on the end of a wood pile, knocked it over. And of course, a mountain of brush. I worked most of the 4th on it.

Finished cleaning up today. Got a pile of rounds with no room for stacking splits. Stacks are all filled. Guess I'll cut some sapling logs, drag 'em up to the yard and resurrect the splitter. But not this weekend.

There's no rest for the wicked, I tell ya. :)

I think so but that lighter heart area is throwing me....but that could be a fluke. Split more and get more pics. ==c

Will do. There's also a tree right beside this one that's dying but still alive now. I believe it's the same kind of tree. Ill snap some pics of it

Status
Not open for further replies.