Who needs a splitter when you can do this

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
  • Super Cedar firestarters 30% discount Use code Hearth2024 Click here
I'll line up the Oak rounds for him, and run the camera.

Reactions: Jan Pijpelink
We were all young and foolish once

Reactions: Lakeside
Some nice Wsconsin fence line Hickory, Elm, Oak will correct that thought process.

Future Darwin Award winner.

Extremely dangerous, I could see one of those choppers slipping and taking out a shin or more, BUT also very impressive, the conditioning needed to do that is impressive, unless like someone above said it was "chemically enhanced"....if not, very impressive and also very good use of both right and left arms!

I'll bet he could polish and wax my Bronco in 8 minutes flat! :)

The video speed is increased, and the edits gave him rest time. I still see him taking an ax to the shin. I do think the video shows the pluses and minuses of the Fisker splitting ax.

Reactions: PA. Woodsman
The video speed is increased, and the edits gave him rest time. I still see him taking an ax to the shin. I do think the video shows the pluses and minuses of the Fisker splitting ax.

He's using Fiskers x17's. Most people I've seen recommending the Fiskers for splitting are talking specifically about the longer handled X27 which is a whole different ballgame.

Also, the video speed has been increased (just enough that some people wouldn't notice) but I do not believe it was edited for rest breaks. He does leave the frame for a very brief moment but the camera is handheld and it would not be easy or beginner editing to do that seamlessly.

Looks like alder. Super easy to split, but impressive nonetheless.

Reactions: BrotherBart
I'm ten years too old for even thinking about doing something like that!Is there a second video where he goes back and sets up all the half rounds and then splits them into quarters so that he can fit them in his stove?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: Jeffm1
I'm ten years too old for even thinking about doing something like that!Is there a second video where he goes back and sets up all the half rounds and then splits them into quarters so that he can fit them in his stove?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That video will be posted as soon he is comfortable using his prosthetic foot.

Reactions: blacktail
I think I'll just stick with my wood splitter

I too split my wood in this manner to save time. His rounds looked to be hand picked for easy splitting. I don't normally have such luxury of choice wood, so one of my axes has a wedge on the back side while the other has a sledge head. This way I can swing and split as well as wail on the wedge for those knotty pieces of black locust without loosing a beat. I save on time, fuel and it keeps me in great shape. :) Manly

I too split my wood in this manner to save time. His rounds looked to be hand picked for easy splitting. I don't normally have such luxury of choice wood, so one of my axes has a wedge on the back side while the other has a sledge head. This way I can swing and split as well as wail on the wedge for those knotty pieces of black locust without loosing a beat. I save on time, fuel and it keeps me in great shape. :) Manly
Lol I wouldn't expect anything less from someone named Manly.