who piles up wood on there front porch?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

RIDGERUNNER30

Feb 7, 2009
Eastern, Kentucky
Been awhile since posting on here working, cutting wood, stacking, and working on a old chevy truck for wood hauling, but anyway got out today and started thinking of a easier way to get wood into the house. most of our wood is in our back yard and it all stacked down hill. makes it tough to get in when it rains or have snow on the ground. so we stack about two cords of wood on the front porch, we stacked it nice and neat and the wood will be in the dry. wish i had done this five years ago. anybody else doing this?

I have all my winters wood on my front porch, 14'x80' concrete covered porch, it's all within 30' of my stove & i bring it in with a little red wagon I fixed up just for that purpose. It's all 20" wood & split about 4-6" & 4 years seasoned oak & hickory, works good for me.

our porch is concrete and covered also. I'm glad we did it makes it a lot easier and cut down on the mess.

Reactions: bioman
I keep 2Rick on the back porch outside my kitchen. I'm going to put a small car port over it to keep the weather at bay and the wood dry this year

I bring about a face cord at a time into the garage. Glad my back yard is relatively flat.

My front porch is pretty much non existent. But after digging through three feet of snow out to the stacks in 2010 I built a wood shed and generator shed right behind the garage just outside of the breezeway. Why oh why didn't I do that 20 years ago. Four cord dry and close.

Lesson learned from last year, built a 6x3x2 Rolling cart to fit under my eaves on my deck just outside patio. Blowing snow buried it. So I'm now making shutters for it on three sides.

I keep about a cord on mine. Only use wood for shoulder seasons. It generally gets me through it. Not this year tho! Unseasonably mild. Finally witched to coal on the TLC yesterday. I know, I know, SACRILEDGE putting coal in it. Just easier with my schedule.

I have a smallish rack on the front porch. Holds just under a cord. The plan is to fill it when it's nice out so I don't have to get cold and wet when it's raining or snowing.

I have my seasons woodpile on the side of the drive way. The plow guy will plow right up to it, keeping it clear all winter. I back my atv and trailer up to the stacks and load it up, then pull the atv into the garage. Nice and easy. Takes 5 mins and I only have to do it 2x a week.

I too keep an oversized face cord on a rack on our covered porch, and then re-fill that as needed during the heating season. During really cold weather (about 0F and down to "the bottom of the pit" into the -30'sF), that will last about 10 days. I also refill it in advance when a weather forecast shows lots of snow or cold so I don't have to refill during a snowstorm or cold snap. My covered wood storage sheds are about 100 feet from the porch. I also have a two wheel cart to transport wood to fill a wood box in our living room so that a multi-day supply of wood is in the house and ready for the stove.

FSCN2342.JPG DSCN2341.JPG

I touch my wood a lot . . . what can I say . . . I just like touching my wood.

Not even counting the processing . . . I stack it outside . . . and then move it to my woodshed after a year or so . . . and then move it from the woodshed to my covered back porch (about 1 1/2-2 weeks worth of wood there which I keep loaded up so I don't have to go out in a snowstorm if I don't want to) . . . and then from there I haul in a day's worth of wood to the woodbox next to the woodstove.

I move it from my stacks to the garage. I keep a face cord in the garage. Gives it time for any surface moisture to dry and convenient to bring inside.

I move it from my stacks to the garage. I keep a face cord in the garage. Gives it time for any surface moisture to dry and convenient to bring inside.
Same here. It's nice being able to grab more wood without braving the elements. Also, I keep my garage stash just inside a sliding glass door so that it can get a bit more sunlight to help with the drying.

Yes, I store wood up against the house, have always done it. Thats why I segregate buggy wood from clean. I have a facecord in house as a room divider. I like the look of cribbed wood and the warm colors.
Integrate it into exterior and interior "look". About 2 cords under eaves of house.
I pull wood from outside stacks before touching the "reserve".
And yes, its playing with my food.

Stamped concrete front porch 12x32 with a firewood holder made out of old pallets. Holds maybe a 10th of a cord, don't really know.

The important part is that it's only 8' from the front door, so I don't get all that cold when I have to get a couple more pieces when loading the stove!

My front porch is pretty much non existent. But after digging through three feet of snow out to the stacks in 2010 I built a wood shed and generator shed right behind the garage just outside of the breezeway. Why oh why didn't I do that 20 years ago. Four cord dry and close.

You were enjoying the wrong type of smoke 20 years ago..............."I did not inhale".........Bill Clinton or was it Bush........"he didnt have sex "

Your gubermerment messes with my head.

bob

I try to keep at least a cord in the attached garage all winter long. One of my better ideas, used to only bring in what would fill a hoop. Takes time to evolve to best practices I guess, even with something as basic as collecting and burning firewood. Yes, keeping a bunch always dry and at ready is the way to go:)

You were enjoying the wrong type of smoke 20 years ago..............."I did not inhale".........Bill Clinton or was it Bush........"he didnt have sex "
bob

"I did not have sexual relations with "that" woman...."
My favorite presidential quote.
We were ALL not inhaling 20 yrs ago.

My front porch is more or less a covered deck, I stack wood on it but worry I may be overloading it. Probably around a cord total is the max I stack on it. Hopefully a future house would have solid concrete.

Same here except I keep 2 face cords in there, gives the one I just brought in a few weeks to surface dry, or in the case of this season, 6 weeks.

Covered concrete front porch 8 X 24 will hold about 2.5 cords (just over half of an avg winter for me) and is sheltered from most winter winds so I don't have too many issues with snow blowing on my wood.

We keep a small face cord stacked beside the fireplace and replentish it about once a week. Very seldom will we burn it all even with a continuously fire. It gets refilled using the tractor bucket to bring wood from the shed up the hill. Three sheds, each one holds about 3-4 full cords. Heating two houses....

I keep my seasoning wood in exposed stacks in a field near the house in the sun, elevated on concrete block, split, stacked, and uncovered. Once there for 1-3 years, I bring it to one of our several carports to be kept dry, undercover, until I bring them into the house to burn. I have a rack that holds 1/4 cord of wood on the inside of our house, next to the front door. Even during cold weather I only have to fill it every 1.5 weeks. I also have a smaller rack for kindling that I fill once a month. I used to keep wood on the porch until I got the large indoor rack. It was worth every penny. Bringing wood in each day is tedious and inefficient chore.

I never have pest trouble but, just to be safe, I keep an ant bait under each indoor rack during the burning season. It works great as a preventative for a possible colony of ants.

Status
Not open for further replies.