Who uses pine knots?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jasong

Oct 23, 2008
Palestine, Tx.
I live in East Texas and around here you find Pine trees on the ground that when rotted away leave hardened pieces full of sap. They light with a match and burn hot. We use them as starters. Is it just around here where they are found or do any of ya'll have them in your area also?

They exist in Michigan and they are great fire starters too. Usually they never get much chance to develop near my wood boiler. Once the wood around the knots gets dry enough the whole chunk goes in the fire.

Many companies package that and sell it as 'fat wood'. As others have said it is great for starting a fire. Burns hot. Just do not use a lot of it at once or you will over fire your stove.

One observation- pine knots seem to smoke like crazy, almost the entire time they are burning. I avoid burning them during daylight. I don't want visible smoke coming from my chimney. I burn knots only very late at night.

Status
Not open for further replies.