Who's the guy here that does the pottery?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

kenny chaos

Minister of Fire
Apr 10, 2008
Rochester,ny
I have an old 25 gallon pickel crock I use to stage wood by the stove
and it's always had a crack but I notice it's widening.
I'd put a belt on it if I could find some nice copper strapping or something
but I can't.
It extends 24" from the top edge to the bottom.
I'm guessing there's some kind of epoxy I could inject into it
but I dunno.
Any help please?

Attachments

• DSCF1429.jpg
    DSCF1429.jpg
    41.9 KB · Views: 342
This has been a problem with stoneware for ever. I don't know how much luck you might have trying to get enough epoxy in the crack to do enough good. This old progression filter water crock has had these bands on it for decades. I wish they were not there but that's what I got. One more point that I might inject. I would not try an expanding glue such as Gorilla glue. It might just widen or break your crock'

Brad

crock001.jpg

crock002-1.gif

Go to a ski shop and get some of the epoxy they use to repair skis. It gets thinner when heated and will soak into the crack better.

Are you thinking of Adios Pantalones . . . he's one of the guys here who has a kiln.

firefighterjake said:
Are you thinking of Adios Pantalones . . . he's one of the guys here who has a kiln.

Yes, that's the guy, thanks.
I appreciate others ideas also.
The wood has been emptied out of it and it appears there's a
good chunk cracked in the bottom which explains the side opening up.
Maybe not worth the effort.

Use wire banding applied with one of these (I have one and find it useful for all sorts of things)- it'll be strong and relatively visually unobtrusive:

http://www.clamptitetools.com/

Kenny - when i sent you a PM last week - that's the guy i was looking for. Thanks

pybyr said:
Use wire banding applied with one of these (I have one and find it useful for all sorts of things)- it'll be strong and relatively visually unobtrusive:

That looks like a really useful tool to have around.

LLigetfa said:
pybyr said:

That looks like a really useful tool to have around.

It is-- handles everything from 1/2 inch black poly to radiator hoses, to putting wire wrapping on tool handles, clamping things to wood posts... it has more than paid for itself for me, in a couple of years, just in the time and gas that I haven't spent running into town for clamps.

Woodworking shops sell little bottles of cyanoacrylate (superglue) with a sort of a syringe needle top. Sometimes in different viscosities. Thin stuff will draw into the crack by capillary action.

Status
Not open for further replies.