Why are double sided wood stoves so rare in the US

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

kate20088

Oct 29, 2021
SE US
We are moving to a new home which has a wonderful fireplace in the middle of the home, on a wall in between the living room and den. I would love to open up the fireplace so that it is visible on both sides and I've read about all the difficulties with double sided fireplaces and wood stoves in the US. When I google double sided wood stoves, I only get results from Europe. Why is that? Are the regulations and building codes different there? I would love the look of something like this in my home but I am realizing that it may just be a dream.

ekol-clarity-double-sided-low-1.jpg

We are moving to a new home which has a wonderful fireplace in the middle of the home, on a wall in between the living room and den. I would love to open up the fireplace so that it is visible on both sides and I've read about all the difficulties with double sided fireplaces and wood stoves in the US. When I google double sided wood stoves, I only get results from Europe. Why is that? Are the regulations and building codes different there? I would love the look of something like this in my home but I am realizing that it may just be a dream.

ekol-clarity-double-sided-low-1.jpg

First off just opening up the back side of a fireplace is a major undertaking and it will not work if that is all you do. As far as double sided stoves. The market is very small and development costs very high. It simply doesn't make financial sense

Reactions: PaulOinMA
Demand drives supply.

There used to be more US options. In 2020 the EPA changed some of its regulations. This seems to have greatly reduced the number of double sided wood-burning appliances available on the market today.

There used to be more US options. In 2020 the EPA changed some of its regulations. This seems to have greatly reduced the number of double sided wood-burning appliances available on the market today.
I doubt it was the regulations as much as the fact they were low sales volume units and it didn't make sense to pay to have them recertified.

Here’s a unit I was seriously considering when I was looking to buy a different house with an existing double sided fireplace. The website says ‘out of stock’. I’m assuming that they stopped selling them after the 2020 regulations were instated, but I do not know this with any certainty. It’s just an assumption based on the thinner availability of units this year.

I think the inquiry here is about wood stoves. Supreme used to sell the Vision, dual-sided stove but that line was dropped. Now they only sell the Duet fireplace version.

Reactions: dafattkidd
We had a similar layout. Contractor bid on opening up the other side for a double sided gas fireplace. It was really expensive. Over $10k. It’s cheaper to install an insert and another wood stove. There is a thread on here Where a Jotul stove was out in a double sided fireplace. It’s not much to look at from the back but it’s not ugly. I think it comes down to do you want heat or it to look really neat. Just no demand for both.

I started looking up double sided stoves and they seem to be disappearing quickly...I was shocked on how many of the different types of wood stoves and others as well has been discontinued over the last few years and did the rule regulations get harder to comply with or are the businesses going out of business? A shocker to me.....beautiful stoves too....Those double sided fireplaces are very expensive but very beautiful too and so more modern and straight lined look--so so pretty..clancey

Reactions: dafattkidd