Why can't double wall be shortened?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

SIERRADMAX

Feeling the Heat
Jan 13, 2011
RI
I have Selkirk double wall pipe for a stove installation. There's not much to the product besides an outer 6-1/2" black pipe and an inner 6" Stainless Steel pipe with both ends crimped and the outlet end having two rivets holding the pipe together.

My problem is, I set the stove to the proper clearances and ran the double wall pipe to the point where I need one more piece before tieing into an insulated wall thimble. I finally received the wall thimble this afternoon and it's alot bigger than I thought. Not to mention, Selkirk doesn't have detailed dimensions on their insulated thimble.. After installation, I'll only need a 3-1/2" to 4" piece of pipe. Shortest selkirk sells is 6"

Using a 6" piece, I'd have to push the stove out 2" to 2-1/2". This would push the stove out too far for the required front hearth protection.

Why can't both pieces of pipe be removed from another and shortened on the non-crimped ends, then re-fastened to obtain the desired length. The 1/4" airspace will still be between the two pieces of pipe.

FYI,

I just contacted Selkirk Customer Support. I described my setup and they explained that the "inner sleeve" pipe on their adjustable lengths can be cut to desired length shorter than 12" as long as the finishing band is installed on the flue side of the pipe.

I ordered a single telescoping DSP from Selkirk for my installation. It telescopes from 38"-68". You could always give this a try.

He said to order the DSP-6AL-1, which is the shorter and cheaper of the two telescoping pieces they make.

SIERRADMAX said:
He said to order the DSP-6AL-1, which is the shorter and cheaper of the two telescoping pieces they make.

Definitely, you can do this. Or you could take back the DSP sections you already bought and order one telescoping piece (38"-68"). It will likely make for an easier and cleaner installation, depending on your ceiling height and stove height of course. It also might even be cheaper going with the single piece of telescoping DSP.

Do you have some pics of your stove install that you could post?

Status
Not open for further replies.