Why electric cars are not green machines?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Why will they need new batteries? There isn't anything in that article saying that. And the data really doesn't show they typically need replaced that often. You just randomly assumed that based upon their warranty
Common sense says they will.

If the batteries are at 70% capacity when sold, the range will suffer and people will need to fix that.

Common sense says they will.

If the batteries are at 70% capacity when sold, the range will suffer and people will need to fix that.
Ok but why are you assuming the batteries are at 70%??? What is that based on?

Reactions: SpaceBus
I think there are a few folks on this forum with EVs that have traveled more than 77,000 miles.

Ok but why are you assuming the batteries are at 70%??? What is that based on?
The warranty of 100,000 miles covers batteries that go below 70%. Stand to reason that 70% is the figure . . . It's not a perfect science, I yield that.

The warranty of 100,000 miles covers batteries that go below 70%. Stand to reason that 70% is the figure . . . It's not a perfect science, I yield that.
Yes 70% is probably accurate. But why are you assuming the batteries will reach that point before the point where they are environmentally beneficial.

Yes 70% is probably accurate. But why are you assuming the batteries will reach that point before the point where they are environmentally beneficial.
The VW in the article broke even (in green terms) at 77k.

I'm assuming 70% capacity comes before 100k miles. Yes, I'm assuming that, but I believe I'm close.

The VW in the article broke even (in green terms) at 77k.

I'm assuming 70% capacity comes before 100k miles. Yes, I'm assuming that, but I believe I'm close.
Assuming that based upon what?

Ok so by that reasoning are all chevy drivelines in need of replacement at 60k when their warranty is up?

I am sorry but that simply makes no sense at all
Seriously?

Batteries have a life that degrades daily. When they degrade to 70% IMHO is when they will start being replaced. And replacing them is "not green."

Are you being obtuse or really not following this?

Seriously?

Batteries have a life that degrades daily. When they degrade to 70% IMHO is when they will start being replaced. And replacing them is "not green."

Are you being obtuse or really not following this?
Yes obviously batteries have a lifespan. But you are just randomly deciding that they are going to need replaced before 100k miles with absolutely no data to support that other than the warranty is 100k.

What is there to follow?

Yes obviously batteries have a lifespan. But you are just randomly deciding that they are going to need replaced before 100k miles with absolutely no data to support that other than the warranty is 100k.

What is there to follow?
It's not random. I'm using the warranty as my data point.

Good grief.

ECHO . . . . ECho . . . Echo . . .echo

Good grief.

How is the warranty a data point?

Like I said is the 60k driveline warranty on ice chevy vehicles a data point saying they need a new driveline after that? No. So why would it be true for an ev?

How many people do you know who drive electric vehicles?

How is the warranty a data point?

Like I said is the 60k driveline warranty on ice chevy vehicles a data point saying they need a new driveline after that? No. So why would it be true for an ev?

How many people do you know who drive electric vehicles?
Because it's reasonable.

This isn't an ice vehicle. The battery warranty is not the vehicle warranty. It's a battery warranty. Specific to the battery. The battery.

If you have concrete research on the lifespan of a typical EV battery I'd like to review it.

I know one EV driver. And he loves his EV.

I'm sorry you don't understand this.

Because it's reasonable.

This isn't an ice vehicle. The battery warranty is not the vehicle warranty. It's a battery warranty. Specific to the battery. The battery.

If you have concrete research on the lifespan of a typical EV battery I'd like to review it.

I know one EV driver. And he loves his EV.

I'm sorry you don't understand this.
Ok... that explains it all...

There is tons of research available on this and plenty of real world data available now. There is no need to guess based upon nothing more than the warranty

Good. I'm glad you understand now.

By the way . . . If a Chevy has a 60k warranty, do I think that 30% of the vehicle's life has past? Yes.
Why don't my drill batteries need replaced at 3 years when the warranty is up? What about my standard car batteries they almost always last longer than the warranty period.

Why don't my drill batteries need replaced at 3 years when the warranty is up? What about my standard car batteries they almost always last longer than the warranty period.
Why not post some research about typical EV battery life and stay on topic?

Why not post some research about typical EV battery life and stay on topic?
Why not just look it up instead of making assumptions based on a data point which isn't actual data it's a marketing tool.

Just a couple. There are many more available
They're all similar articles. Read the car and driver earlier today.

This paragraph hit home for me

"Hyundai offers a similar battery warranty for its EV of the Year-winning Ioniq 5, with coverage of 10 years or 100,000 miles. It also covers battery degradation, with Hyundai expecting the Ioniq 5's pack to lose no more than 30 percent of its original charge during the warranty period."

To me, 70% in 100k is the expectation from Hyundai. IMHO, I expect it sooner.

Good grief.

The warranty is not a data point. Otherwise, using your logic, all vehicles should be expected to suffer a powertrain failure before 100k miles.

You are literally saying that your opinion about battery failure is fact because of your opinion about a warranty.

How can a manufacturer even make money if the products routinely fail during the warranty period?

This is all absolute conjecture on your part without any data.

If you could poll even just 5% of EV owners as to their reported battery performance I might give your opinions some weight. As it is now, you're just a self admitted EV hater prognosticating about electric vehicle batteries. Why should anyone care about some random Daily Mail editor's opinion, much less yours?

The warranty is not a data point. Otherwise, using your logic, all vehicles should be expected to suffer a powertrain failure before 100k miles.

You are literally saying that your opinion about battery failure is fact because of your opinion about a warranty.

How can a manufacturer even make money if the products routinely fail during the warranty period?

This is all absolute conjecture on your part without any data.

If you could poll even just 5% of EV owners as to their reported battery performance I might give your opinions some weight. As it is now, you're just a self admitted EV hater prognosticating about electric vehicle batteries. Why should anyone care about some random Daily Mail editor's opinion, much less yours?
At no point did I say the battery (or powetrain) will fail.

You just won't consider an alternative viewpoint. Which is ok, while you're on hearth.com.

Status
Not open for further replies.