Why Fossil and BB definitely won't hire me for the flight deck or crew

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
You keep breaking one of the fundamental rules...the number of successful landings must equal the number of takeoffs. Keep trying, I enjoy the videos (and it's not my money). ;lol

Reactions: PapaDave
Keep it up. My wood burning neighbor is a pilot, we enjoy watching them, wincing as you crash them! Practice makes perfect, but eventually you will nail it ;)

He was mayor Bloomberg's private pilot for over 18 years, taught him how to fly planes and helicopters. He' still offers lessons if you want to learn for real how to land, he won't let you crash his plane for sure.

For certain these videos prove "gravity works".

Reactions: PapaDave
ouch... but its amazing the beating those Quads will take. A traditional RC heli would be looking at hundreds of $ in repairs from that 'landing' ;)

Ya need the Boeing "pull up... pull up... pull up..." voice warning on your TX.

Doesn't look like what happened to you in this case, but when flying single rotor helicopters there is a phenomenon that if you are in a high hover and descend vertically too fast you can actually fall through your own rotor downwash and then the heli starts dropping like a rock uncontrollably. Keeping a little bit of forward momentum till just before touch down avoids this (reason why you never see a full size come straight down, they always descend on a slope and then flare for touchdown). I imagine the quads can suffer from the same - something to watch out for.

Biggest problem is that you tend to lose orientation when these birds are a couple hundred feet away - and I don't have FPV (first person view), so I am only looking from the ground.

Another problem is this one is somewhat manual - if I wanted to, I could upgrade the controller to one which would know how fast it was going and auto-level it. As it stands, when this one heads in a direction, it keeps going.

It was really a bad crash - and when you figure that the thing weighs almost two pounds and has zero glide ratio...and was powered in falling, Galileo and Newton would have been proud.

Damage? Well, we'll see. I think I will get away with $60 and also be able to either repair or use parts from the arm that hit. This unit is modular - each arm plugs into the main hub.

You keep breaking one of the fundamental rules...the number of successful landings must equal the number of takeoffs. Keep trying, I enjoy the videos (and it's not my money). ;lol

The only way I'm going to be able to explain this money to webwidow is to sell some old extendaflues or tools and use that scratch to buy them. Otherwise, it's kinda tough.....

Or, I can just say "look how much you spent on cable TV", etc.

The only way I'm going to be able to explain this money to webwidow is to sell some old extendaflues or tools and use that scratch to buy them. Otherwise, it's kinda tough.....

Ya have to learn how to sneak packages in the back door. Ive spent enough on RC over the last 10 years to buy a decent used car and somehow managed to keep the peace. Occasional jewelry or flowers and not criticizing her shoe & bag collection go a long way toward keeping the peace ;)

but when flying single rotor helicopters there is a phenomenon that if you are in a high hover and descend vertically too fast you can actually fall through your own rotor downwash and then the heli starts dropping like a rock uncontrollably.

Ah yes. Vortex ring state. AKA settling with power. AKA if the pilot lives, fire him/her.

Ya have to learn how to sneak packages in the back door. Ive spent enough on RC over the last 10 years to buy a decent used car and somehow managed to keep the peace. Occasional jewelry or flowers and not criticizing her shoe & bag collection go a long way toward keeping the peace ;)
Funny you say that. While I am far from a girl in regards to shopping (and my use of chainsaws) there is a store that when I DO shop, I go there. The problem is, the use BRIGHT pink bags. They actually ask if you want your purchase in "their" bag or their "camo bag" which is just a brown paper bag to avoid a confrontation when you get home, hard to hide their bag it almost glows in the dark!
When my hubby comes home with what obviously looks like a rifle box, I just thank him for buying me "new curtain rods" and leave it at that.
There are worse hobbies to have for sure! That same neighbor that's a pilot told me he's buying a twin prop plane that's being sold in a short sale for $125k. I'll take all the curtain rods my hubby wants to buy over that ANY day ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.