Why is this stove pipe so heavy?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

deadelm

Sep 11, 2010
Wisconsin
Hi there...

New guy here, been reading a lot of great posts & learning a lot as well.

Building a new hunting cabin and I picked up some used 8" Supervent, couple of minor dings but it appears lightly used. When comparing the weight with brand new pipe a couple of pieces are noticeably heavier.....

I'm wondering why that could be.

Thanks

All stovepipe is not created equal, some use much heavier gauge metal than others.

If different pieces of the same used pipe weight different amounts then could one of them have possibly been exposed to moisture/rain and the insulation is wet inside? If so, I'm sure a good warm fire will drive the moisture off.

CountryBoy19 said:
If different pieces of the same used pipe weight different amounts then could one of them have possibly been exposed to moisture/rain and the insulation is wet inside? If so, I'm sure a good warm fire will drive the moisture off.

That was my concern, that the insulation got soaked. I would stand it on end on some newspaper overnight to see if it is wet inside. If so, I'd check with the manufacturer to be sure it isn't compromised. It could be ok, but considering the job this pipe does, it doesn't hurt to be extra sure.

Status
Not open for further replies.