Why line the chimney?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Dustin

Minister of Fire
Sep 3, 2008
Western Oregon
A structure fire this early AM. A good reminder why we line our chimneys and proper safe burning practices.

ac719ea968007f387ee3a24ee8dcd0f1.jpg 78dbe7a3c8cdd9f0c89d11c3b1306a33.jpg

The fire took 2 hours to extinguish and caused about 30k in damage to the structure. My biggest takeaway is obviously the serious amount of creosote burning inside that chimney, and, the obvious improper clearance to combustibles for the masonry chimney. The fire spread to the surrounding structure and ignited it.

Money on an insulated liner is well spent. In my previous home my installer didn't insulate the liner, said it would be fine... I won't do that again. Insulation always.

Last edited by a moderator:
So was there no liner at all in that chimney? Are we seeing flames directly on the inside of that brick in the first picture? Or is there a clay liner? What IS there?

I like how the "chimney" is actually supported by a 4x4 lumber stand. The problem with that chimney is not that it didn't have a proper liner, it's that the chimney was a pile of crap and was never safe. There is nothing unsafe about a properly built masonry chimney. I don't like them for other reasons.

Reactions: bholler