Why should Europe have all the best stoves?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Wow. They had some of their european gas stuff at the show this year, but not all of the wood stuff. There are some really neat units being sold overseas. I wonder if they're casting those in Bethel?

Well, the Intrepid supported a coal kit for years. So did the Resolute and the Vigilant. The Vig is the only one that survived the EPA. Maybe we will see more coal, or even pellet, stoves from VC in the years ahead. Time will tell.

Sean

Mike Wilson said:
Looks like an updated Vigilant in new clothes, sized into the Intrepid series....

And how much is CFM paying you for all this anyways :smirk:

-- Mike

So why aren't they offering it here? That damned EPA again?

Damn I did not know I was on their payroll. I was browsing european stoves and stumbled across their multi fule ones.
Europe countries have simmilar standards to our EPA regs. We have a fantastic coal reserve here. Coal is still the best
cost per BTU , when paying for your source. I just found it interesting, a company based here, is offering models that
might be and attractive alternative here.

Craig, ITs been more than 2 weeks sinced I mentioned anything about VC. Actually I was looking to see if Effel was still in business

Hi Elk,

It is all about marketing. And a lot of marketing guys have no clue of what people want.

Example: Shimano makes fishing reels. Different models for different continents (all thought up by marketing guys). For carpfishing (my first hobby) you need large diameter reels with a baitrunner (free spool) feature). They have some Shimano models in Europe, that are small and poor quality. Shimano USA has the baitrunner 3500B, 4500B and 6500B. Shimano europe did not import them because they thought there was no market for them. A lot of dealers went to the USA to pick them up themselves, and grey import them to sell them. Shimano europe got mad. THen fishermen started getting them themselves here. A lot of under the counter trading happened. Then Shimano smartened up and now you can get them in europe legally too. Makes no sense, but happened.

PS. same thing is happening the other way too. Carpfishing is big in europe. Not here. No items are imported here, so quite a few guys are starting import businesses in their garages to supply the USA market.

Did you know the charles river is loaded with big carps.I have fished them using bread, worms, and corn maybe samon eggs.
Never ate one though. I also have a pond not too far away with lunkers there as well. 20 lbs and over

Back to the original post: The ability to get an intrepid using coal to produce 10 hours per load of usefull heat is appealing.
I wonder and I will have to convert the BTU output to see if coal also increases the vollume over the wood Intrepid sold here.

I also wonder if they are manufacture here or in Canada and shipped to Europe?

Esse makes stoves of similar design that ARE available here. They're listed as coal only as they do not have EPA certification, as I assume this one does not. Morso also makes the 1410 that is available as a wood or coal, but there is a difference in that the coal version doesn't have the same secondary burn technology as the wood version.

Hi Elk,

Every river in the USA has large carp. The further north, the larger. The St Lawrance river has a thriving guide service indusry for carp fishing.

Yes, I heard about the carp in the Charles river. 20 # is an average fish for me. I am spoiled (and good at catching them). Anything under 30 # is ok, but it really counts above that number.

Carpniels

elkimmeg said:
Craig, ITs been more than 2 weeks sinced I mentioned anything about VC. Actually I was looking to see if Effel was still in business

Efel is still very much in business. I think the official name is "Founderies De Lion" or something like that, Foundry of the Lion in Belgian or French.

I think the Woodstock Soapstone Stove castings are made there among others. It is a top notch foundry, but the owners have done a poor marketing job in the states on their own brands.

They make stoves under the Efel brand as well as Nestor-Martin. Also they make many other stove parts for OEM manufacturers elsewhere.

A google on Efel or Nestor Martin will show their distributors in various countries including the USA.

The british site is pretty complete.

carpniels said:
Hi Elk,

Every river in the USA has large carp. The further north, the larger. The St Lawrance river has a thriving guide service indusry for carp fishing.

Yes, I heard about the carp in the Charles river. 20 # is an average fish for me. I am spoiled (and good at catching them). Anything under 30 # is ok, but it really counts above that number.

Carpniels

Give a man a fish and he'll eat for a day.
Teach a man to fish, and he'll sit in a boat and drink beer all day.

elkimmeg said:
Did you know the charles river is loaded with big carps.I have fished them using bread, worms, and corn maybe samon eggs.
Never ate one though. I also have a pond not too far away with lunkers there as well. 20 lbs and over

Back to the original post: The ability to get an intrepid using coal to produce 10 hours per load of usefull heat is appealing.
I wonder and I will have to convert the BTU output to see if coal also increases the vollume over the wood Intrepid sold here.

I also wonder if they are manufacture here or in Canada and shipped to Europe?

Elk,

3414 BTU/HR = 1 KW so the 7 KW (about 23,ooo BTU/HR) is smaller than the new Intrepid II (26,740 BTU/hr)

I wanted multifuel as well and was looking at 2 sided Hunters (would have fit my install well after some mods I think)... "Sorry... not for sale in USA" came the email response... oh well.

I think we've got some good stoves too, no? VC Quads, Harmans?

Marty said:
I wanted multifuel as well and was looking at 2 sided Hunters (would have fit my install well after some mods I think)... "Sorry... not for sale in USA" came the email response... oh well.

Marty I did not know I could have gotten a VCc multi fuel stove but I have so much wood that coal was not and viable option. Vc can't sell them here, but they could allow a few demo out to index the market

Dylan said:
You STILL have the right to attempt to smuggle one back!!
Can I borrow your 'tramp steamer' next summer?

elkimmeg said:
Marty said:

Marty I did not know I could have gotten a VCc multi fuel stove but I have so much wood that coal was not and viable option. Vc can't sell them here, but they could allow a few demo out to index the market
Well in a way I'm glad to be able to use wood and not add green house gasses to the pot... even if I am in the heart of coal country.

BeGreen said:
Lopi is US made?
Those are all USA...There are a lot of good USA light stoves also... Pacific Energy and Osburn.

I posted this so long ago it suprised me someone dug it up

Warren said:
BeGreen said:
Lopi is US made?
Those are all USA...There are a lot of good USA light stoves also... Pacific Energy and Osburn.

Not disagreeing, but PE = Canada. Last I checked, we hadn't annexed them yet.

Warren said:
BeGreen said:
Lopi is US made?

PE and Osburn are out of Canada. Lopi and Avalon are made in USA, by Travis Industries.

What makes that stove so great?

Multi-fuel?
Pick a fuel and stand by it.

Thermostatic control?
BORING, half the fun of heating with wood is the daily adjustments you have to make.
Also whats any more fun that building a fire!

Looks?
I think they copied Morso :)

BeGreen said:
Warren said:
BeGreen said:
Lopi is US made?

Not disagreeing, but PE = Canada. Last I checked, we hadn't annexed them yet.

I was too subtle... USA Light = Canada

Warren said:
BeGreen said:
Lopi is US made?

Frank's Welding and Donut Shop Albuquerque

Status
Not open for further replies.