Why the blackish/brown smoke on start-up

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

fespo

Minister of Fire
Dec 14, 2005
South West burbs of Chicago
In my smoke dragon when I add wood and all air the vents are open I get a heavy blackish/brown gray smoke until it is going really strong. I using 100% pallet wood, all sizes. I have never seen this something like this before. Is it burning the creosote up? Thanks

Might be or perhaps there is a contaminant in the wood. Some pallet wood is treated.

Combustion, its all trying to light off at the same time, to rich of an environment, go on youtube and search how to read smoke, its a firefighters training video, but anyone can learn about smoke.

Reactions: jeff_t
Wood is clean, no treated no oil. Anything that looks dirty it goes in thrash can

Status
Not open for further replies.