Why would anyone not want a Fireview by the Woodstock stove company?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Slow1

Minister of Fire
Nov 26, 2008
Eastern MA
I know that every stove has it's fan club - and generally there are also a few folks who for one reason or another don't like the stove or the company. I have read a lot of posts about the Fireview by Woodstock and have yet to see anything other than "it's too small" that sounded negative.

So.. my question here is not meant to find bashers, rather I'm really looking to hear some balance. I know that this stove can't be for everyone, so why not? In addition, I'm sure that SOMEONE has had a bad experience at some time or another and I'm hoping to learn what it might have been. Looking for constructive information - objective as possible, under what conditions would someone not want one of these stoves?

At the moment the main downside I can see is the cost. Then there is the whole Cat debate (love 'em or hate em?)

Can anyone help out?

Thanks.

Every stoves has to meet various criteria....

looks
cost
wood capacity - lengths, etc.
Use patterns
etc...

So, you could say....that someone might not like the looks, it might cost too much, they might want a stove that heats quick from a cold start (heavy stoves take longer), they may want a stove that holds more wood, or bigger widths/chunks.

The cat think probably is not a big deal in that stove, because there is a fairly long warranty and people don't seem to have too many problems, but at the same time you have to learn how to use a cat stove (bypass, etc.)....

The company, obviously, has earned the respect of customers in the way they treat the end-user.

Two reasons:

1. We do a lot of intermittent burning in the shoulder seasons, and we want fast heat in the evening and fast cooldown after a morning fire. I judged that soapstone was not the best material for our application.
2. Having to either move it into the house myself or arrange a third party to do so. Buying a stove from a dealer meant that I could just pay them a few bucks to deliver it, place it on the hearth, and take the old one away.

Woodstock needs a stove with a top exit to allow for better clearance behind. Not everyone has rooms large enough to have the stove 2-3 ft from the back wall. And there could be a larger stove at the top of the list, particularly for those who have to burn softwood.

The stoves look good and apparently work well, and dare I say, are competitively priced. They just don't cover the entire market requirement.

Everybody that has one loves it.

Next question?

burningbill said:
No ash pan, small fire view, small fire box, stone cracks. Just my experience.

Do you actually own one?

BB said it awhile ago. The best stove is 'my' stove. I considered a Woodstock stove and Hearthstone too. My wife, did not.

BrotherBart said:
Everybody that has one loves it.

Next question?

Ok then - who has taken advantage of their 6 month return policy, and why?

burningbill said:

Ash pan - I can see that as a downside, but I have also heard the "leave ashes, they help insulate and keep coals" mantra from many folks who have lots of different stoves too - with the ash pan (at least in my current stove with the grate) this seems harder to do. Perhaps this varies by model. I have been wondering just how much of a pain this would be (not having an ash pan) since I've always had one.

Small fire view? Seems subjective, and I have not actually seen the stove yet but the pictures don't seem to make the view seem that small. Will have to look closer at this (does seem to fall under "style" preferences though).

Small fire box - this does seem like a good one in any case. I have wondered about the 16" log length as it seems a bit on the short side of things - Having a stove that can take up to 20" I never even really worried much about what length wood is cut to when buying, but it often times is advertised as 16-18" length - that could be a serious pain!

stone cracks? Can you elaborate more on your experience please?

I didn't even consider a woodstock due to no delivery/setup. I am not equipped to move a heavy item such as this, so that was an immediated NO in my purchase decision.

Besides, my Oslo will take a 22 inch split :)

Slow1 just say'en I've always heard good reviews on those stoves.

As for us?... I would never buy a soapstone stove cause we're hot burners. Often times the temp is 7-800...too hot for those stoves.

I'm not interested in "bashing" this stove, as I would install one immediately if one was given to me, but that hasn't happened yet. I saw one on craigslist for sale this winter fairly close, priced right, but it is not the stove that is on the top of my list.

These are the reasons I did not buy it. The biggest problem is particular to my install, the side loading door is on the wrong side. No fan to move air. Made of soapstone and cast iron, both can crack and no good repair options other than to replace the part. I like plate steel!

Beautiful stoves, they have a cat, and glass view of the fire. All features my next stove will have.

Edit: Removed the note about thermostatic control, as the Fireview does not have one. Thanks Highbeam for pointing out my error.

rear clearance, loading door on the wrong side for me. hearthstone fit my requirements better.

I suggested the woodstock fireview to a freind and he loves his. I'm kinda jealous now, its a great stove.

I've heard several folks mention the rear clearance - according to the web site you can go down to 18" with the heat shield. Is this still to far for everyone? I had to do about the same with my VC Encore I think (ok, I don't exactly remember - perhaps it was 16" there). How tight a rear clearance do those who cite this as a major factor look for?

the hearthstone heritage is 7" rear clearance with heat shield and double wall pipe.

I think the woodstock front does not open so the hearth does not have to stick out in front as much as with the heritage, but you need the higher rear clearance.

so the hearth sizes are about the same, its just whether you want the stove closer to the wall or not.

Every inch counts for some people.

As to the 6 month return, we had at least one review from a customer who did that. They still loved the company and the stove....I don't think the rating said exactly why they returned it. That return policy, if nothing else, shows their confidence in the product.

Heck, years ago I looked at BMWs and found lots of reasons I didn't want one (well, mostly cost)...and they didn't haul trailers well. No roof rack for lumber hauling. So I got a Subaru.

It seems to me the most unsatisfied is with the firebox size. Many would like to see a larger stove. Perhaps Woodstock will soon be making one but we'll just have to wait and see.

As for the cracking of the stone and cast, I've not heard or read of anyone who have had this problem with a Woodstock but I have read of others having cracked soapstone; just not on a Woodstock stove.

I also agree it would be nice for some to have a choice of left load or right load or even top load and also the need for less clearance, especially on the rear of the stove. Personally, I do not see why they require so much clearance as it just does not get that hot on the back side with the heat shield on. I'm thinking 12" would be no problem at all.

BrotherBart said:
burningbill said:

Do you actually own one?

Yes I do own one. Mine developed two large cracks on the top stones. I think the cracks developed because of the stress between where the heat shield is under the stone. Both cracks in both stones developed about a half inch from where the heat shield ends. They are semi circular and carry into the middle frame. To wood stocks credit they did say they would review pictures of the stone and if it is faulty stone they will replace it. I haven't sent in the pictures yet so I do not know what the outcome will be yet i.e. how much I will have to pay.

About the small fire box, I can load up to 20" long logs, however they have to be right in the middle of the stove. The inside of the stove tapers in on either side of the stove. I just wish it were bigger all around, the length of the wood part I am ok with.

The fireviewing glass is small compared to others like the Jotul castine etc

My biggest complaint is no ash pan. It is hard to shovel the ash out without the fine ash getting kicked up into the air when scooping the ash into a bucket.

Would I buy it again? Probably. I have realized wood stoves are much more work than other wood burning devices, i.e. wood boilers. I recently bought an EKO 40 and will use the wood stock just for back up.

I'm not a big fan of the door latch and would also like to see the side door, air control, and bypass lever available on the left side. Also think if it had a top exhaust vent it would look better and maybe the rear clearance could be closer. If they made a larger Fireview, say 3cu ft firebox, I'd buy it in a heart beat.

About the ash pan -

Probably somewhat more convenient, but I empty ashes only once every 2 weeks anyway. The cloud of fine ash can be reduced a lot by sticking the full ash shovel into the pile of ash in the can, then tipping forward gently.

No ash pan means no leaking gasket, too. I'm just as happy without it.

I use a wet towel over my ash pail so when I scoop ash the towel acts like a magnet for that fine ash.

burningbill said:
BrotherBart said:
burningbill said:

Do you actually own one?

Yes I do own one. Mine developed two large cracks on the top stones. I think the cracks developed because of the stress between where the heat shield is under the stone. Both cracks in both stones developed about a half inch from where the heat shield ends. They are semi circular and carry into the middle frame. To wood stocks credit they did say they would review pictures of the stone and if it is faulty stone they will replace it. I haven't sent in the pictures yet so I do not know what the outcome will be yet i.e. how much I will have to pay.

About the small fire box, I can load up to 20" long logs, however they have to be right in the middle of the stove. The inside of the stove tapers in on either side of the stove. I just wish it were bigger all around, the length of the wood part I am ok with.

The fireviewing glass is small compared to others like the Jotul castine etc

My biggest complaint is no ash pan. It is hard to shovel the ash out without the fine ash getting kicked up into the air when scooping the ash into a bucket.

Would I buy it again? Probably. I have realized wood stoves are much more work than other wood burning devices, i.e. wood boilers. I recently bought an EKO 40 and will use the wood stock just for back up.

I'd be interested to know how long you've had the stove and also interested in Woodstock's response after you send in the pictures.

I thought the lack of ash pan would be a problem but it has not proved to be so for us.

This also is interesting and speaks well for Woodstock in that you would be willing to buy another one from this company. I think this reflects well on the company and its product.

My T5 goes as low as 5" with a 180 degree heat shield on single wall pipe. Adding another 13" to that and more on the sides means that this stove takes up serious real estate. With the heat shield you are still talking about a space 60" wide and 44" deep as a minimum. That is 18" left right and behind. 8" in front. That still does not take into account that nothing can be closer than 3-4ft in front of the stove. If you include that then one is talking about 35 sq ft of space for a stove. The stove itself is 24" wide by 18" deep.

Slow1 said:
I've heard several folks mention the rear clearance - according to the web site you can go down to 18" with the heat shield. Is this still to far for everyone? I had to do about the same with my VC Encore I think (ok, I don't exactly remember - perhaps it was 16" there). How tight a rear clearance do those who cite this as a major factor look for?

Status
Not open for further replies.