wicked storms hit my town today!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
S

ScotO

some really wicked storms came through today. A huge red oak came down next door, the rootball was around 11' tall, tree was around 40 to 44" diameter, 80 or 90 ft tall. Some pics of the storm and some of the tree. It's at the back of my neighbor's property and fell on my cousin's property, she said her boyfriend will cut it up. He don't have the saws to do it, so I will wait patiently for her to call me.......:p;) 2012-05-27_17-34-37_5.jpg 2012-05-27_17-36-39_914.jpg 2012-05-27_18-51-33_157.jpg 2012-05-27_18-52-16_839.jpg

Reactions: zap
some really wicked storms came through today. A huge red oak came down next door, the rootball was around 11' tall, tree was around 40 to 44" diameter, 80 or 90 ft tall. Some pics of the storm and some of the tree. It's at the back of my neighbor's property and fell on my cousin's property, she said her boyfriend will cut it up. He don't have the saws to do it, so I will wait patiently for her to call me.......:p;)View attachment 67697 View attachment 67698 View attachment 67699 View attachment 67700

good thing no one was under that beast. interesting how cleanly it uprooted. hope you end up getting at least some of that wood.

Scotty, I was just telling my wife that you lived in that area the storms roled through, we just saw it on the weather channel. Glad the family is safe.
Nice pics.

zap

Reactions: ScotO
good thing no one was under that beast. interesting how cleanly it uprooted. hope you end up getting at least some of that wood.
onetracker, I probably won't get any of it. However, I told my cousin if she needs me to come down with a REAL saw instead of the little craftsman her boyfriend has, I would bring my big saw down and buck the trunk up for him. As for the rootball, I am amazed too. I looked at it pretty good and it kinda looks like the middle may be rotting out some, it will be interesting to see inside the tree when it's bucked up.

Scotty, I was just telling my wife that you lived in that area the storms roled through, we just saw it on the weather channel. Glad the family is safe.
Nice pics.

zap
Thanks Zap, everyone is safe, yeah I am glad too! It was one of the worst thunderstorms I've ever seen. We drove around town and there are trees and limbs down everywhere, I am guessing we had a microburst smack us. We drove to the neighboring town just south of us and there is no damage at all. Crazy weather. I have some video of it, will post it to youtube later if I get a chance. Takes forever to upload vids to youtube!

The reported winds in that area up to 90 mph on the Weather Channel. We had a micro burst in 2008, it took me 2.5 years grabbing everything off the forest floor, still have two cherry trees that are hung up from the storm

Zap

The reported winds in that area up to 90 mph on the Weather Channel. We had a micro burst in 2008, it took me 2.5 years grabbing everything off the forest floor, still have two cherry trees that are hung up from the storm

Zap
I'd say there were winds that were close to 70 mph in our exact location, I'll be watchin the local news tonight for official reports. It was bad.

Glad they died down before they got here. We had a gust of 38, Started about 7:30 this evening, now 9:30 and still got thunder and lightning though winds have been averaging 15 but not much rain for some reason only .31 at the moment.

Attachments

• storm.jpg
    storm.jpg
    7.1 KB · Views: 101
Reactions: zap
Glad they died down before they got here. We had a gust of 38, Started about 7:30 this evening, now 9:30 and still got thunder and lightning though winds have been averaging 15 but not much rain for some reason only .31 at the moment.
We're between Altoona and State College, it hit us around 5:30-6:00 and its still thundering out with some rain but the wind is gone. We got HAMMERED earlier. I was working in Harrisburg back in the late 90's when some bad storms brought a microburst through down there. On a good note its only 64° outside now, good sleeping weather!

For the size of the tree, I'm surprised how shallow the root system is. Glad everyone is safe!

If you get involved in cutting it up, BE CAREFUL !

When you get close to the rootball, it's has a good chance to stand up fast, keep your head clear!

Maybe brace the root ball with a couple 4x4 braces so it don't stand up & hurt anyone.
I'd work from the top down on one that big.

Glad it didn't hit anyone or any buildings.
Be safe
Looks like a fun one to work on, but very heavy :)

Reactions: jeff_t and Gark
It always amazes me how much of a tree is underground, which you don't see until that happens or it gets dug up. What a monster root mass on that one. I sure like the idea of stabilizing the root ball somehow so it doesn't stand back up suddenly while cutting the trunk.

If you get involved in cutting it up, BE CAREFUL !

When you get close to the rootball, it's has a good chance to stand up fast, keep your head clear!

Maybe brace the root ball with a couple 4x4 braces so it don't stand up & hurt anyone.
I'd work from the top down on one that big.

Glad it didn't hit anyone or any buildings.
Be safe
Looks like a fun one to work on, but very heavy :)

BE VERY CAREFUL! Last year a grandfather killed one or two of his grandkids in this exact scenario. He didn't realize they had moved into the root area and he cut the tree off and it snapped back into the hole. Kids like to be around when this kind of work is going on.. but they triple the danger for sure.

JP

Reactions: raybonz
BE VERY CAREFUL! Last year a grandfather killed one or two of his grandkids in this exact scenario. He didn't realize they had moved into the root area and he cut the tree off and it snapped back into the hole. Kids like to be around when this kind of work is going on.. but they triple the danger for sure.

JP
Yes that would be very unfortunate. I don't allow kids anywhere near where I am cutting, heck I won't even let adults around if they are not part of my crew. Bad things happen when you least expect it!

Reactions: Thistle
It always amazes me how much of a tree is underground, which you don't see until that happens or it gets dug up. What a monster root mass on that one. I sure like the idea of stabilizing the root ball somehow so it doesn't stand back up suddenly while cutting the trunk.
I am going to go over there this morning and explain to them that they should try and knock as much of the dirt out of that rootball as they can, if they are motivated to do so. For starters, it would put a lot of the dirt back in the hole, minimizing the need for fill to be brought in afterwards, Second, it would make the stump a lot easier to get out of there. Not sure what their plan is, but I feel fairly confident I will be the one dealing with the trunk because it is a monster and I know for a fact that kid doesn't have the tools or know-how to deal with it.

For the size of the tree, I'm surprised how shallow the root system is. Glad everyone is safe!
I was thinking that too.. The oaks around here rarely come down but the white pines either snap or uproot..

Ray

I was thinking that too.. The oaks around here rarely come down but the white pines either snap or uproot..

Ray
This oak is in a low area that has been really wet this spring, so the damp soil combined with 70+ mph wind gusts we had late yesterday did it in. Dang shame, too. It was a really really old tree.

Glad you came out of this unharmed Scott. Hope you get some of the wood.

When those storms hit I was out kayaking with my family about 20 miles north of Scotty's tree on Bald Eagle Creek. We spent 40 minutes crouched under our kayaks while quarter-sized hail bounced off the boats. There are lots of trees down in the area around Bald Eagle State Park, but not much around my house, so no free firewood for me today.

Reactions: ScotO
Sounds pretty scary WD! Glad you survived it OK!

Ray

Status
Not open for further replies.