Widow maker advice

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
You've made the right choice to let it be.

I have both let them sit and taking widow makers down over the years. One that I let sit is still hung up 15yrs later, but most came down in the wind eventually.

There are safe ways to cut that down. In broad terms, you need to separate the trunk from the stump (it appears to still be connected) while being aware of where all of the pressure is currently located in the tree. Once separated, it will likely still be hung up. At that point, I would attach the winch to the trunk of the tree and winch it until the entire tree falls.

Reactions: Rob_Red
If you could drive up to it in a truck, I would have no qualms about hooking my 20 foot logging chain to it and dragging it down to ground with my 4WD Nissan Frontier.

But you can't drive up to it. As we say in Dixie, "Leave 'er lay."

I appreciate the advice gents but this one is staying put for a while, there is no reasonable vehicle access with out tearing chit up. I have plenty of other down wood to keep my back sore for a while.

I bought my first chainsaw this year and am completely new to tree work. If I can find some one experienced to help I’ll go for it but based on some of the feedback I’m getting I’m not going to take it on my own at this point.

Good idea. Every hanger is different and it is impossible for anyone to tell from a couple of pictures the right approach for this one. If you do find an experienced person who feels safe dropping it for you, that is your chance to learn a thing or two and ask questions. I have learned a lot of what NOT to do by watching some other people's experiences (and from some of my own).

I like burning wood because it is free. The older I get the easier it is for me to remember that it isn't free if I get hurt cutting or processing it. I can use up the deductible on my high-deductible health plan very quickly with a chainsaw injury or a broken limb. I'll drop trees if I have to, but I much prefer to clean up downed trees. Stay safe and you'll enjoy this wood cutting/burning business for many years to come.

Hey guys I have a red oak leaner. I don’t have a tractor only a chainsaw and come along. How would you guys go after this? I was thinking I could use some straps to prevent it from falling to the side I’m cutting on.

Am I being too ambitious? Should I just step away and stick to the less dangerous stuff?

View attachment 278149 View attachment 278150 View attachment 278151
I had a Cherry something like your picture in the area we call the bowl, I left it like yours for 3 or 4 years and then either a wind event or the snow took it down.

I had never really did any cutting with a chainsaw so if my gut told me to leave it, I did.

Stay Safe.

Just leave it and the looks of it----------Be Safe....It will come down by itself anyway in time-------give it time---stay safe--especially since you cannot drive there....Birdies and small animals like it....Be safe...clancey