Widowmaker

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I took the old single shot 12 gauge (Savage) to the widowmaker, that gun kicks like a mule which did a nice job on the shoulder. I took plenty of wood off but it's still up there, 24 shells.

5503 before the 24 shots.

Just to cover my arse I won't recommend this method.

zap 100_5503.JPG100_5504.JPG

Shoulder will be sore tomorrow :)
Bet you started "flinching" after about 10 shots LOL :)
But much better than a headache.
I bet the next wind storm brings it down now.
Look to be tangled in the hemlock pretty bad?

If I go up again it will be with some good padding plus buckshot, the country store only had # 2 shot. I wish that I had did it on Friday, we had some nice wind gust on Saturday.

It's in the Hemlock real good. I have a dead Hemlock I could fell to try and take down the widowmaker but it looks a tad short which I think would go underneath it.

zap

Grappling hook on a long rope?
Full auto .50 cal should do the trick too LOL :)

Watch those birch real close, when they die the tops rot fast, when you fall them the tops can break out & come straight down.
Pushed one over with a 950 loader, was glad I had a cab over me, top broke out, hit the cab & took out a side mirror :eek:

Thanks for the heads up Bogydave, some of the top is down on the ground, huge mess in that area. A good two days in that area should make a huge difference, I'll get a before and after pic.

zap

Oh - wow, that's pretty good for #2! some 00 buckshot would be a little better, but you really need to get you some sabot slugs. A couple well placed slugs should make quick work of that limb.

Oh - wow, that's pretty good for #2! some 00 buckshot would be a little better, but you really need to get you some sabot slugs. A couple well placed slugs should make quick work of that limb.
Corey, what are the range on the sabot slugs?
zap

Cut the whole thing down?

Corey, what are the range on the sabot slugs?
zap
Definitely from a gun to that limb!

There are actually several different types, so range (and destructive power) can vary quite a bit. One type of slug is designed for a rifled shotgun barrel - they generally have the longest range (I'd estimate 100-150 yards). You can generally find solid or even hollow point. A second type is designed for a smooth bore shotgun barrel - and has some ribbing built into the slug to help induce a spin. Shorter range, maybe 50-75ish but you have the ability to alternate slugs / shot at will. ...ideal for 'home protection mode'.

Big difference from photo 1 to 2. Just one more shot!

Umm...Zap, if that gun has any choke to it, your not gonna wanna shoot slugs through it.

Thanks Corey.
Realstone, done run out of ammo an the shoulder felt like chit, I was shooting 3 inch but will back it down to 2 3/4. The wood was flying thats for sure.
Jags, after yesterday I feel like CHOKING the gun! I never saw anything markings on the barrel, no Poly-Choke.

zap

On those old single shots, they were not always marked. A bore choke gauge is often the only real way to tell on some of those. I have one that is choke so hard that you CAN NOT use copper clad shot. It will blow the end of the barrel off.

My warning comes from the fact that you say it kicks like a mule. Mine does too and it is because of two factors. First, it is a pretty light gun, second is because it is choked very hard. Your gun might be as well. If so - no,no to the slugs.

Reactions: Realstone
On those old single shots, they were not always marked. A bore choke gauge is often the only real way to tell on some of those. I have one that is choke so hard that you CAN NOT use copper clad shot. It will blow the end of the barrel off.

My warning comes from the fact that you say it kicks like a mule. Mine does too and it is because of two factors. First, it is a pretty light gun, second is because it is choked very hard. Your gun might be as well. If so - no,no to the slugs.
Thanks Jags. The forearm on the barrel came loose after the last shot so it looks like I'll be taking it to a gun shop, I'll have him check the barrel with a choke gauge.
This was bought at a local auction about five years ago so we have know info on it, I'll get the model number tonight then do some digging online for a manual.
zap

The forearm on the barrel came loose after the last shot so it looks like I'll be taking it to a gun shop, I'll have him check the barrel with a choke gauge.

Perfect!

The forearm has a different setup, it actually hooks into a spring loaded mechanism, I think the spring is shot.(Just real loose)

zap

The forearm has a different setup, it actually hooks into a spring loaded mechanism, I think the spring is shot.(Just real loose)

zap
Yeah, it probably has a spring load "leg" that snaps in when the far end of the forearm is snapped into place?

Reactions: ScotO
We will see what Mother Nature brings from the Gulf of Mexico this Hurricane season.

Good plan man. Just stay clear of this tree and let nature work it out.

zap
I have an antique Damascus barreled 16 gauge that has this same problem.
It also needs new hammer springs for both hammers. Beautiful gun, just gotta get it fixed. Oh and also get some black powder shells for it too!

Reactions: Jags
Nice gun, is that a double barrel?(edit; just saw your post said both hammers, double barrel it is) I won't put much money in this gun so if I have to he has some nice used 12 gauge shotguns or a new one, have another (cherry) that is a widowmaker off the trail my wife walks in the winter so once I get this gun fixed or buy a new one that is coming down.

zap

Nice gun, is that a double barrel?
Yes it is a double barrel. Has the hammers and external firing pins. Definitely worth restoring. I also have a 1840-ish double barrel percussion muzzleloader shotgun with some beautiful silver inlay work, its missing both locks and the ramrod. Gotta get that one restored too.

I take it your shoulder has recovered. Don't forget your camera ==c

Reactions: ScotO
Status
Not open for further replies.